1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom...is making me go nuts.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlieHK, Apr 30, 2014.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

So I broke down last October and told my mom about the rape in 2010. And ever since I told her, she's been treating me "different". More specifically like I am some sort of "walking talking easily raped machine". Like because it happened once, I will be raped again.

But here's the kicker. I am taking a weight training class senior year (next year), and here's the convo me and her had.

"are you sure you'll be okay"
    "what?"
    "I mean what if you get attacked?"
    "What, some raging lesbian is going to rape me in a fucking locker room?"
    "well..yeah"
    "Are you insane?"

And then we argued.

Any ways, sadly, my mind wanders and I get worked up about nothing so after panicking for two days about that crazy ass scenario, I'm back to being okay.

So I have a few questions.

1) Crazy ass mom gives me anxiety for no reason, how to explain to her "shut the fuck up" without the "shut the fuck up" tone?

2) Lesbian in a locker room, I should be okay, I'm not out, nothing bad happens in locker room situations like that right? (just calm my nerves on this one).

2. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know about your rape story.

Your mom's fears are somewhat justifiable. She feels somewhat guilty that she wasn't there for you until 3 whole years had passed. She loves you and doesn't want the same thing to happen to you, and doesn't know how to handle it.
    If you reassure her, maybe tell her that you'll just attend a couple of classes just to try it out and if it seems like a safe environment then, and only then, you will continue, she will feel safer.

I've never been in girl's locker rooms but I'm pretty certain they don't go around sexually assaulting each other, lol. Try to be a little sociable so you don't give the 'vulnerable' picture to anyone in there.
    Best of luck :slight_smile:

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

How will I only attend a couple classes when it's high school?

4. Jethro702

Is the weight training class a co-ed class? When I was in high school they had them separated. She does seem a tad over-protective *but what mother isn't* and you seem a tad defensive. Maybe a civil conversation between the two about how you both feel will help.

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

We used to have girls weight training but not enough girls signed up so now there is just one weight training class for everyone.

I'm defensive because every time I seem to get to being okay, she reminds me of why I shouldn't.