1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start a GSA in high school?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, Apr 30, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've visited the GSA Network's website, and I know about the equal access act. But what exactly does my school have to have for that to work? Federal funding and anther club? Just a club? How can I know if we get federal funding? I have an awesome teacher who says she will be the advisor, so that's not an issue. Help please??

2. Gen

Gen

It shouldn't need anything in regards to funding as such a club shouldn't really have that many fees. Those that it does have will probably have to be fundraised by the members. I would just speak to a school official and find out the specific campus process of making a new club.

3. LD579

Generally you need to make a proposal and send it to the administration. Your teacher should be able to help you with that. Funding shouldn't be an issue, unless you plan to hold many events and such. What Gen said is the best thing to do at this point. Depending on the school's atmosphere, though, there may prove to be more resistance than perhaps expected...