1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm trans, and my college is making me book a single dorm.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by notaclue, May 1, 2014.

1. notaclue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Initially, I planned to go to a college that is somewhat trans-friendly (this one provides a few services, but not much), but ultimately, I got far less financial aid than expected due to some unexpected issues with the processing of my FAFSA application, so I had to choose a college more close to home because of the cost. My family is strapped for cash, so though this wasn't the ideal choice, it was the only one I could really make if I actually wanted to be able to attend college at all.

I recently contacted the school I am now planning on attending and inquired concerning my housing situation, as I know that my status as a trans student puts me in a bit of an odd boat.

For one, it took them weeks to get back to me, and once they finally did, I was informed that I must book a single dorm if I wish to live in campus housing.

Single dorms cost nearly 2,000 dollars more a year than doubles, and the reason I'm going to this college in the first place is because of its affordability.

In addition, as my college does not guarantee housing and singles are limited, especially for Freshmen, with this news in mind, I am honestly fearful that I will not have a dorm at all. And while this college is one of the closest to my home, it is too great a distance for me to reasonably compute, especially considering that I don't even have a car and cannot feasibly afford one.

Not only that, but the college isn't all that far from one of the worst neighborhoods in the country, and the parts of the area that are safe would cost me far more for an apartment than even a single dorm, and I can't even really afford that.

I'm just flummoxed.

What should I do?

2. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe find a guy that doesn't mind and isn't creepy about it and submit an inquiry to the school asking if you could share housing with him? I don't really know, kinda a tough situation.

3. Are there any LGBTQetc student services or people in charge of inclusivity on campus? IF you can find someone, talk to them about other queer or queer-friendly people who might be looking for a roommate, then go back and talk to the housing people and see if they'll accommodate.

That's what my girlfriend did, anyway.