1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting other gay people

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by XenaxGabby, May 3, 2014.

1. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Just wondering, for those of you that have friends who are also gay/lesbian, where did you meet them? I would like to have some friends like myself but I'm not into the club/bar scene.

2. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This thought just occurred to me and I'm fairly new to EC so it may have already happened but a meetup sounds like the greatest thing ever.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a gay neighbor 8 houses down and 3 lesbian couples in my neighborhood.

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly just meet my gay friends around my life. Work, mutual friends, parties, social gatherings.
    I've never been in an LGBT-focused group, but I know they're helpful in making friends too.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not counting all y'all on here...I only recently joined the LGBT center at my school, so there's that. But mostly friends of friends, or people who were my friends from school before I knew they were LGBT.

6. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just have one friend who's actually told me she's lesbian. Otherwise I don't actually really know anyone else that I can think of. I have no idea really of how to meet people...

7. LostAndAffraid

I only really have a few lesbian friends, I have met a few gay guys but haven't really made gay friends with any of them.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the last twenty years or so I've lived in largely gay neighborhoods so--work, the gym, the grocery store, and, well, I've made a lot of friends in the club scene. But I led a gay book group for years; my husband was on a gay bowling league and in a gay choir. You can meet gay people just about anywhere in my experience...

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My experience has been similar, and really only in the last year or so. I spent the entire day yesterday at a strategy development get-together with the gay hotline that I volunteer for, it was great being surrounded by "family"; by people who get it.

There are gay bowling, badminton and curling leagues that I can think of off the bat, there are also dance groups, senior citizen's clubs etc. The gay guys that I do meet are usually surprised at how "militant" (as one of them put it) I am, and maybe over the years, my ardour will cool somewhat, but for now, this has been the best way for me to integrate myself into the community.

10. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    An LGBT center would be a great place to make new LGBT friends :slight_smile:.

11. Camerooon

In larger places like Birmingham I'm sure there's LGBT meetups of some kind anyway, though an EC meetup would be the greatest thing ever. I live in a relatively small town near Birmingham and the only gay people I've ever met were people who went to my school, and I'm not very much look any of them.

12. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I found out through the glory of the internet that there is an LGBT center in my city that has a youth group ages 14-25. I might try that.

13. Emmanuella

I have a couple of friends that have come out to me...aside from that I met my other gay friends/acquaintances online (dating sites).

14. Jethro702

I have a few gay/bi/lesbian people I know.... I don't have many if any friends at all.... lol I only meet the people I do know through school. :wink:

15. LovesMyArmyGirl

I have just met them around my High School. A lot were friends before I came out.