1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Umm is this normal?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Daydream Harp, May 3, 2014.

1. Daydream Harp

Lately I have been rather annoyed and angry with a lot of people, and I have had a lot of fantasies about murdering them in brutal ways... is this a normal healthy thing when you are really really angry or should I seek some help for this?

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I think you should work on your anger.. Have you always had these Murderous Fantasies?

3. Notsoshure

Actually a lot of people do that, just picturing people you are angry at dying or getting hurt.
    I thought it was uncommon, but it actually isnt.

4. Daydream Harp

Only towards people who have actively ruined my life, now I find myself getting them about people who are just being dicks or being annoying as well which worries me.

Well, not just dying or getting hurt, but fantasizing about strangling them and beating them to death in various gruesome ways, so yeah, kinda worried about my mental condition due to that.

#4 Daydream Harp, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  5. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Uhh no XD I would not say that it's healthy. As for if it's normal it's not exactly like the UN has the stats for People with Murderous Fantasies (per 100 citizens of course :3) But I know sometimes I can get pretty upset with people, I don't exactly plan their deaths, but I have a few choice words for them c:

I'd say "don't follow through with it and you're okay," but it seems like this can be worked on and improved, just do your best not to think that way, maybe focus on yourself and think of all the accomplishments you have even with these people that stood in your way! :grin:

6. notaclue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, it is fairly normal to think about these things, but as soon as the thoughts move from a fantasy you would NEVER ever even think about actually doing to something you truly want to do and you feel that you will, then it's a problem and that's when you need to talk to someone about it.

7. ohnobro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The real question here is if you could actually see yourself doing it. If you could, go see somebody NOW.

If you know you wouldn't go through with it you're ok. Everyone has these thoughts occasionally. I had really angry thoughts until I worked through them.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mental illness is toning to be ashamed of (*hug*) it runs in many families.

9. Gen

Gen

Lets not jump straight to claiming mental illness and discuss this a bit more. Experiencing flashes of doing something immoral is not uncommon at all. Anyone who have driven, for instance, knows of the thought that occurs in all of our minds at some point of veering off the road and hitting a passerby. It isn't the existence of those thoughts in an individual's mind that tells of possible mental illness as much as their reaction to those thoughts.

So, how do those thoughts make you feel? Are you disgusted or fearful of the idea and recognize that doing so would be a terrible thing? Do you feel that they do deserve to be harmed in the moment?

10. Daydream Harp

In the moment it feels way too great, though afterwards I start feeling guilty for thinking about such things at all. In the moment I feel they deserve everything, but it also passes afterwards when I actually start thinking again.

I don't think I would be able to actually kill somebody in real life no matter how angry I got, but I worry about potentially becoming violent towards people who piss me off if this keeps escalating.

---------- Post added 4th May 2014 at 07:38 PM ----------

Also somewhat scary update, but have found myself hating myself as well lately and wanting to punch myself and stuff.

11. Sarah257

As to the murderous fantasies, it's more or less normal. We all get those from time to time. The real problem is when you start taking actions to make them happen. That's when you should definately see a professional.

However, given that you are having some of these feelings toward yourself, I strongly suggest that you attempt to find out WHY you are feeling this way. It seems like something is eating at you on a deep level and you need to face it. Take the time to think things out and be honest with yourself. I cannot stress how important honesty to yourself is, but I probably don't need to tell you that now do I?

Keep us informed. We're here for you. (*hug*)

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't write out plans, do you? Or research methods to kill them? Or learn the best time to strike by observing them? Because if you do, then it is time to seek help NOW.

If you're merely playing through scenarios in your head (especially if it is against your will) then you should be okay. Unless this is an everyday event? Or lasting more than, say, half an hour? Then something needs to be sorted out.

I had (almost?) involuntary violent thoughts almost every day when I was in high school. Never acted on them. Once I was out of that environment... I wondered what the hell was wrong with me.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Very normal. Humans are primitive creatures by nature. Fantasies about violence are just as common as fantasies about sex. The difference is that one has legal and moral complications, so it needs to be restrained.

14. Daydream Harp

I guess it's not overly dangerous then, still uncomfortable though.

15. AAASAS

I've never wanted to murder people, but a couple people that have dropped homophobic comments have made me want to throttle them.

I don't think it is uncommon for people to think that way though if they are mad enough, but it definately should be something you pay attention to, you don't want to have an anger problem like that.

My anger problem is more, passive, I get super pissed, never think anything harmful about the person, but the anger just sort of bottles up inside, which isn't a good idea either. So maybe those thoughts sort of release it.

I'd still try to work on methods to not feel that passionately about something. There should be very few things that make you want to murder someone; a direct threat to your life or someone elses life you care about basically is the only time you should feel that way.