1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get my parents to let me go to pride?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, May 4, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out to my parents although they kind of know I'm supportive (they know I did day of silence). Ideally, I would come out to them, they would be accepting, and then they would let me go to pride with my friends. But that's just not going to happen.
    Pride is in another town about an hour away. My parents are very protective of me. I'm 16 but I asked to go spend the day in another town about 90 minutes away with my friends last fall and they said no, like it was the most rediculous thing to ask ever..
    I don't want to lie to them about where I'll be (not in my morals) but I don't know of they'd let me go because: it's gay pride and it's not clear how they feel about LGBTQ stuff; they are really protective of me; I don't know if one of my friends' mom is coming with us yet; a bunch of crap is going on in our family right now.
    Obviously I don't have control over a lot of this... But what can I do to get them to be more likely to let me go? Advice?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, if they know you're supportive and participated in the Day of Slience, they probably suspect already anyway.

So you might want to think about just coming out to them. Short of that, I don't have any great suggestions for convincing them to let you go.