1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck with a crap job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sepina, May 4, 2014.

1. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    okay , uh I need advice on something.. but this is more like a rant in a way. I work at a Meat processing plant not too far from my house which is pretty much a 40 min walk from mine but like what I don't like about it is the hours ya know? I get paid 18.79 an hour but normally we do like 6 to 13 hours depending on the workload, BUT we do not get paid overtime. I guess I shouldn't complain as finding a job is hard enough as it is. but like sometimes we do less than 40 hours a week and the pay is shit.. the ONLY reason im working there is for my Mum and sister, otherwise I'd be at Medschool. I mean should I stay there or should I like transfer to another dept. my right now my dept is a lowest paying one, and our hours aren't set

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whatever makes the more money is the best.

3. LostAndAffraid

Go back to med school. And I would kill for that kind of pay. I work a minimum wage fast food job and can't find a second. I literally give up 90% of my check just to pay bills every two weeks. I have no way to save and I have no prospects for advancement.

It's pretty awful

4. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But how can you work alongside 30 - 40 year old homophobic men.. I mean Im the youngest in my dept. Don't get me wrong our manager is gay too. But she gets all the respect like, what she says go. I wish they could treat me like they treat her, not in the sense where they kiss my feet but like they know who I am sexually and they just get on with it.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Ok, 18 New Zealand dollars is around 9 British pounds.. That is like a superviser's wage here... Is the living expensive there?

6. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it?
    lol, most kiwis move overseas to live cheaper, most of them fly over the Tasman to Aussie.
    So yes it is.. the Milk giant Fonterra, yeah not a big fan. Anchor is a nz milk brand, and yet they sell it for what? 7, 8 dollars its bollocks.

7. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I thought it was a known fact that every first job, or uni job... or job without degree for the most part sucks.

Anyways for your question, if you've worked there long enough, or if you qualify for a promotion, it can't hurt to ask or bring it up with your employer ^^

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If your department is the lowest paying one, and you know that other departments are paying more per hour, or you will have more hours per week, I'd say try to get a position in another department, through a transfer for example.

Does the company have internal job postings? Or is there somebody you could talk to about getting another position in the company?

9. LostAndAffraid

I do work along side older hydrophobic men to the point I have to pretend to be strait at work or I'd fear getting jumped in the parking lot. No joke.

10. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Mirko and Holdingb
    I have tried but Ive only been here a year. But I have been talking with the HR manager and she says Im good for it. I just need to clear it with our Manager. But at the moment Im not on her favourites list so like... I'll probably have to wait a bit. I could do an internal dept transfer and work on the dayshift but idk..

---------- Post added 6th May 2014 at 12:26 AM ----------

They tease me alot at work for who I am... ya'know I know humping eachother is a guy thging... but honestly it makes me feel so uncomfortable when they do it to each other and me.

11. AAASAS

Doesn't sound like it sucks that much you just don't like the hours.

Try socializing to spend the time.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @sugarpills well is your apartment nice at least?

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hi there! Sorry to hear that you are not on your her favourite list at the moment, but maybe trying to get an internal department transfer could be the first step in getting out of the department completely. If you were to do the internal transfer would your position/responsibilities change at all?

14. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Mirko Yeah responsiblilites woill change, thoguh I already know most things for Dayshift, but it maybe of no use I may be made redudant o.o. 30 got laid off yesterday and I was like wtf, and those thiry were from one dept. Luckily We have the smallest Dept. in the entire plant... idk Ill keep you updated.
    And yeah its alright here a few hot men and chics here and there. I really dont like the sexual insensitive jokes they target on the women though... its sad and just down right un called for what they say. I mean most of them women in our dept are either in the office or doing whaever women do. But there is one younger chic there 'Amy' I mean shes good looking. I wouldn't mind snogging her but the men over... they're just wow....