1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loving Yourself ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mangotree, May 4, 2014.

1. mangotree

I couldn't find any other threads about this so thought I'd start one.

While it's not a uniquely GLBTIQ "issue", I think it must be relevant to some people here.

I've spent at least half of my life feeling sorry for myself, having low self confidence / low self esteem, experiencing social anxiety, caring more about what others think of me than what I think of myself, over thinking just about everything / getting completely lost in thought, taking everything personally, the list goes on.
    In my case, the "cause" was varying degrees of fear as a result of (real and perceived) hate, judgement, homophobia and bullying.
    I know I'm not alone here.

In the last couple of years though (since my 30th Birthday), things have really changed for the better, and I mainly put it down to some books that i've read (and/or listened to in audio-book form).
    Many of them have been spiritual in nature, but others have been more scientific.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any books/audios/videos to share that really helped them. Or even just advice or mantras that they've used.

Here's a list of the most helpful ones that I've read / listened to:
    All of these are available in written and audio.

My Top 5:
    F--k it: The Ultimate Spiritual Way / John Parkin
    Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It / Kamal Ravikant
    The Power Of Now / Eckhart Tolle
    A New Earth: Awakening To Your Life's Purpose / Eckhart Tolle (there is also a brilliant podcast with Oprah where they go through the book together)
    The 18 Rules of Happiness / Karl Moore

Other Spiritual: The Celestine Prophecy, Peace Is Every Breath, Stillness Speaks

Other Non-Spiritual: Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, Virus of the Mind, The Biology of Belief, The Brain That Changes Itself.

Feel free to add to my list.

PLEASE NOTE: My journey so far has not included clinical depression (or similar).
    If your journey does; please seek help and advice from a professional before (or in addition to) delving into the world of self-help.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to feel so worthless as a youth. I have anxiety and depression... but I've overcome it.

I've adopted the "fuck it life will go on" Mentality and that made me feel better.

Also I found that karate made me a stronger and happier person being more sure of myself. If you can stay calm when someone is trying to punch you in the face then you're probably pretty much composed and confident.

Another thing I found to have changed my life and made me love myself was Persona 3. It taught me the value of friendship by investing your life in others. It's what made me come out of my shell and join karate. It is as an important work of art to me as any novel or movie.

Also good music lately that makes me feel happy and self worthy is

Crooked Smile by J Cole
    Feels good to be up - Kid Ink
    Happy - Pharrell Williams

Life isn't THAT bad.