1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in a rut :(

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JackAttack, May 6, 2014.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Im 23 and feel like im going nowhere in life. All I do is wake up, work, then sleep and then repeat. I do exercise but that is becoming tougher for me to do because I usually cant be bothered any more. I used to enjoy playing football and I used to go to Kick boxing but iv lost interest and feel too anxious to go.

Im currently in a dead end office job. I would like a new job that im more interested in but I have no idea what im interested in. I graduated from uni last year and I have lost interest in that field. But my biggest problem is my anxiety/social anxiety, it plays the major factor in my life. Everyday is a battle for me. I sit at work all day feeling tense and I hate being surrounded by people. I have a huge fear of speaking on the phone when there are others around. I will usually wait for there to be less people around before I move or speak. Its really sad and degrading. There is my sexuality too which makes me even more complicated.

My problems are not going to go away and I just dont know what to do. I used to see a therapist several years ago but I didnt think that one helped much. I just feel stuck and lost. Iv been feeling this way for a long time now and I just dont know what to do. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#1 JackAttack, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  2. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found this website useful
    What are your strengths

You're feeling a lack of energy and motivation. You are dragged down by the anxiety and your life has become stale. Yes, sometimes you have to force yourself to try new things. Are you eating well and getting enough sleep?

Why do you feel anxious around these people? I think almost everyone feels a little anxious inside. When I remember that; I feel my fear drop right down. They don't give a damn what you're saying on that phone, unless you mention murder or something. At times in the past I thought everyone had their eyes on me... I was very wrong.

If there's an underlying issue to the anxiety, you might need to see a doctor about this. I've had anti-anxiety tablets before, they might make you more anxious for the first week or two, but then you feel the edge is gone from the anxiety. I warn you to never come off them cold-turkey/suddenly, of course a doctor should warn you about this... IF you need to take tablets. I might be jumping to conclusions! Some therapists are good and others... not so. I've seen many professionals. If one isn't suited to you, demand a replacement. Don't put up with one because you feel bad about dropping them.

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Damn.. I'm in the same situation... My job is easy, but anxiety makes it difficult.

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might want to try centering yourself. There are many exercises that practice this, perhaps the easiest being yoga. Yoga can give you fast results and is a quick way to see if meditation can help you. The idea is not to escape your problems but to put your mind in the center of them where you can't feel them pulling on you. Like being at the center of a merry-go-round. It's still spinning but you don't feel the force. Anxiety and worry pull you away from the center causing you to feel stress. Meditation is not a cure but it will give you temporary relief from your symptoms. As you get better at it you can use it anywhere for quick bursts of stress reducing relief.

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Thanks for the site, it gives me a bit of encouragement. I can eat fine its just my energy and motivation have hit an all time low. I want to try new things but I just dont know what. I really wish I had a clear goal but I dont :/.

I think it stems from school where I had a really bad time. Im just constantly anxious around people and I cant change it no matter what.

I have considered tablets but I really dont want to get into them, there seems to be a lot of side effects. I think I will look into paying for a therapist. Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:.

Yh my job can be really easy and boring but my anxiety makes it worse. It affects my thinking which in turn makes me learn slower. It really does hold me back. Im sorry you feel this way too.

I have tried meditation but it didnt work for me, maybe it was me being impatient. I think I will give it a better try though, thanks for your advice :slight_smile:.