1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick! Need suggestions!?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Emmanuella, May 8, 2014.

1. Emmanuella

Okay, so a friend and I want to start an LGBT support group at a community center.

We are thinking of doing something once or twice a week with 2 different group: Teens (13-19ish) and then young adults (20-39). I was thinking of having on site discussions/support, on site activities, as well as outings and off-site activities.

For those of you that fit into those age groups. Is this something that would be of interest to you?

Would you join/attend such things?

What kinds of activities would you be interested in?

What kind of discussion topics?

Would "Game Nights" be of interest to anyone?

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recommend a teen and and adult (not age-specific) group. I don't really do the "fun" thing so, no recs there, sorry. What about outreach or improvement? :confused:

3. Emmanuella

Thanks for your suggestions. I would definitely like to do some form of outreach as well. But I do want to have a base/home for people to come/find us at any time. I agree, I shouldn't specify age categories. I wouldn't want to leave anybody out, when they might be able to benefit from out services and support.

4. PurpleGrey

I think it's a fantastic idea! I sure need one over here! I would try to snag a room with a foosball table and/or penboard. And near a vending machine. If the room you get doesn't have good chairs, it might do to get some pillows.

What I'm imagining is a support part first, and fun time with the rest of the meeting. And doughnuts, but I might be biased there, since that's really just something I see at church, LOL.

One thing to remember is the support part needs direction. Back in group, there was none, and nobody found it helpful. I would suggest asking everyone to suggest a topic to discuss.

I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself! I go crazy planning hypothetical stuff, and stuff that other people are doing.