1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding out if the university is LGBTQ friendly?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by willfultrans, May 8, 2014.

1. willfultrans

Out Status:
    A few people
    So with pressure fo the higher education that I really want to have upon me, I'm looking for universities. The problem is, with my transition having to be postponed til I get to uni I want to be sure the college will be safe for me. I know there is no way to totally avoid crappy people, but I don't want to have to worry every second if I go to a uni that is totally not accepting. Especially since housing and things like that can be very different depending on how accepting the university is.

So here is the question- how do I find out? Is there someone specific I should find the email for someone in particular? Are there other sources I can find? It will be a big move for me. Across an ocean actualy, I want to go to school in London. So if any of you know, let me know. If I am gonna move for this, I don't want to find out to late that its not a good place for me.

2. biggayguy

You could ask about the active student clubs on campus. There should be a club listed with a description as a gay/straight alliance. They should have a faculty advisor that's gay friendly. That much info. should be in the school catalogue.

3. Hiems

Higher education institutions usually have websites, so you could check that out first. But some do not update them, so groups could have disbanded and thus don't exist at present.

I agree with biggayguy about asking student clubs. In particular, ask the student government because it's the liaison b/w the school and students and usually helps fund other clubs' activities. So it would know about most groups on campus.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Somebody also publishes a book and/or list of "the 50 most gay-friendly colleges in the country" or some such. (I don't have a link but it's easy to Google it.) You might luck out and find one or more of the schools you're considering on that list :slight_smile:

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone