1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People showing interest is a big turn off for me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lostlifeguard, May 9, 2014.

1. lostlifeguard

So, I'm realizing that people showing interest in me is a really big turn off for me. Every time I've like someone, once they started liking me back, my feeling for them started dying down. Then, if they stop liking me, I start liking them again. This is obviously very problematic for relationships, and I'm wondering if this is some kind of subconscious psychological thing. Does anyone have any advice on how to stop myself from feeling this way?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya mate,
    If you feel comfortable, can you tell us how old you are?

Honestly, that's not atypical behavior, even if you're an older person. You want what you can't have - doesn't everyone?
    If you're a younger guy, then that feeling will probably fade soon enough when you meet more people.
    When you meet someone who you love for reasons beyond their physical appearance, I highly doubt you'll turn them down if they like you back. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But like I said - if we know your age we'd be better able to talk about where your feelings are at right now and what you might be able to expect in the future.

3. lostlifeguard

I'm 18, turning 19 in a few months. And I feel like a definitely do this more extremely than almost anyone I know.

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I take it you've never felt like you met "Mr Right", or "the one" for you? You have always become uninterested when they become interested?

I don't have a lot of data-based things to say to you, but I think you just need do to some more self-exploring. Figure out what makes you tick. Tinker around with different relationships and see how you function.

Honestly, you may feel this way because it's all that you know about yourself.
    If you think about it a lot, explore yourself, and talk to your friends and you still don't have a better idea of what's bothering you, maybe seeing a therapist would help?
    More often than not, they can offer some insight that we can't do via the internet.

5. Trooper

I'm exactly the same as you. I could have a massive crush on someone, but once they show an interest in me, it will fade away, only to return when they stop showing interest. Some time ago, I had a guy show interest in me for a couple of months, but I didn't reciprocate, until finally I realized that I really liked him and wanted to be with him (I came out to myself thanks to him). I started imagining a future together with him. Unfortunately, at this point he appeared to have lost interest in me. I was heartbroken. But I learned an important lesson.

I decided that whenever this happens in the future, i.e. I have an interest in someone but lose it once they approach me, I will keep showing an interest in them anyway and try to get closer to them. I was really hurt when the other guy didn't respond anymore, but I realize I only have myself to blame for that. So I've decided to start putting myself out there. Hopefully, it will pay off eventually and I'll find someone I won't immediately fall out of love with. Maybe you should try the same?

6. lostlifeguard

Yea, that's exactly how I feel. This guy had a crush on me for a while, and I just thought he was super annoying, and then he ended up getting a different boyfriend and I started liking him again.

There's this other guy in my life that seems to be just like me in this aspect which makes life really frustrating. It seems like we keep going back and forth :confused:

7. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has happened to me before....
    I sometimes just feel like they pester me... I don't know... I think it's because I for some reason want to the person desperately liking someone, not the other way around xD

Although, I think when this has happened in the past... I never REALLY liked them in the first place... I think if someone I really liked deeply reciprocated feelings or even got clingy, I would still like them :slight_smile:

But yeah, I think it's kind of normal. I think it just takes time to get to know a person properly...

8. lostlifeguard

Oh my god, so I'm talking to this guy right now, and he keeps texting me all these complements and it makes me feel so weird and uncomfortable, and I just keep thinking to myself, "this is so weird, why is he so obsessed with me?" And there's literally nothing wrong with him.

I'm like kicking myself, but it's making me really dislike him, but that's not what you should feel when someone complements you.

I'm thinking maybe this is a leftover effect from when I was in the closet? Like, I would be really bothered by someone showing interest in the past, so I've just learned it's not ok. I don't know how to fix this though. I'm hoping if this is the case it should just fade the longer I'm out of the closet.

9. mangotree

I used to have the same problem.
    After a lot of self-discovery though, I realised it was because I didn't feel like I deserved to be loved and if they're attracted to someone as plain as me with that much intensity then there must be something "wrong" with them.

That said, when a guy (or anyone really) gets really clingy and invades your personal space, it gets annoying. It still makes me think they're acting out of some deep insecurity. Loneliness and desperation is rarely attractive (sorry to anyone here who is lonely or desperate).

Maybe it's one of those 2 things.

Peace be with you.