1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I just fall for one guy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LucasB, May 11, 2014.

1. LucasB

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've never come across this site before, but I figured you guys and girls are probably the best qualified to give me some advice.

So I'm 21, I've always referred to myself as being straight and I've always been comfortable with that despite the fact that I've experimented with guys before. Well specifically one guy, my best friend at school. It was all pretty innocent, just kissing and feeling each other up a bit. He told me he was gay when we were 16 I think and he really struggled with it and I like to think I was there for him, but we stopped kissing after that and never really talked about it again.

Then fast forwarding to this year, we'd sort of lost contact, but I always knew what he'd been up to on Facebook and seen that he'd had some serious boyfriends etc. I don't think I was jealous exactly but kind of felt protective over him, which is weird for someone that I wasn't close to anymore.

We had a school reunion in April and I went with my girlfriend of 4 years and we happened to be sat next to him. We were getting along really well and it was so nice to catch up, but then he started talking about how we'd fooled around a bit when we were younger, which made me angry. I'd never talked about it with my girlfriend, which was awkward, but more than anything I just felt that it was something that was private between us and I wanted to keep it that way. I suppose maybe he assumed that because it stopped when he came out to me that I didn't mean anything to me, but I think it did.

I approached him outside the hotel after the meal and confronted him about what he'd said. He seemed genuinely sorry but I couldn't stop feeling angry for some reason. We were vaguely arguing but then all of a sudden we were kissing. To cut out any unnecessary detail, we ended up having sex in his car, something I'd never done with him before (or any guy for that matter). I thought I'd feel bad and ashamed, but I just felt like a surge of love for him that I haven't felt before. Obviously I feel ashamed that I was unfaithful to my girlfriend though.

We haven't spoken since, I've nearly messaged him a few times, but chickened out. I don't know if it was just adrenaline or something or that I actually have feelings for him, I'm just pretty confused. I don't drink anymore, so I can't blame my actions on that, I was fully aware of what I was doing. Sorry that this is so long, and thank you for reading it, even if you can't give me any advice. I suppose I'd like to know if you think I should just leave it and try and forget about it or what? Thanks anyway,

Luke

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since you have a girlfriend, it's a lot more complicated than it seems at first.

I'm going to ask you a few questions:

- If he is, in fact, in love with you, are you willing to give your relationship with your girlfriend to start one with him?
    - Do you think it's just "messing around", or do you think you feel more for him?

I ask you this, because of the following. Let's say you like him, but don't want to lose your girlfriend at all, because you love her. Then I'd say, let him go, it's not worth it. Perhaps you'll lose your girlfriend and since you don't want a relationship with him, you end up being single.

The fact that you cheated on your girlfriend tells me you have feelings for him, but I could be wrong.

Hope to see an answer! :icon_bigg

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! I'm going to warn you now that anything I say in the next few paragraphs needs to be viewed in the right way. I am not, repeat AM NOT, trying to tell you that you are DEFINITELY one thing or the other, or even trying to hint at it, I just want to point something out to you.

One of the first things you said to us was this: I've always referred to myself as being straight. Which is fair enough, although I know for a lot of people that came into question the minute you said you were kissing and feeling up another guy. I mean that's not typical straight male behaviour. Please note I said not TYPICAL behaviour, because as I said, I have no intention of trying to determine an orientation for you.

Anyway, ignoring this guy completely for a moment, just answer this in your own head. How many times in your life have you ever felt free to feel anything for another guy?

I ask purely because I would say for the majority of people, the answer is 'never'. I mean I know when I grew up I wouldn't have thought anything about guys because everyone would have ripped the hell out of you for it. It's not even like its a conscious decision necessarily.

I mean think about it this way, most of us don't have a problem determining if someone is 'objectively' attractive, even if we aren't attracted to them. If I gave you a picture of a girl I found attractive but you didn't I bet you could point out at least a couple of nice features even if she didn't do anything for you. Now think about a member of your immediate family. Could you do the same thing easily? Probably not, because it's just accepted that you don't think that way about family. Keep in mind at this point I'm not trying to link homosexuality and incest, I'm just pointing out another example of unconsciously accepted thought. Probably nobody ever told you that you don't do it, you just don't. You look around, nobody else is so you don't either. I'm sure at some point you will have heard a joke about how someone did something with their cousin and everyone took the piss!

Point is, you look around as a child and unless you happen to have been in a very open environment probably never came into much contact with homosexuality, and the chances are, if you did, it wasn't looked upon favourable. So you just sort of go with it and assume that you don't think of guys that way.

All of a sudden you have this strong connection to a guy, as you said he was your best friend at school. So you now have this strong connection and now that unwritten rule doesn't seem to make as much sense any more so you explore it a bit.

Then he goes off and you forget it again. The connection is broken and you go back to the rule. After all, it was different with him.

Now you meet him again, get reminded of those times and WHAM, argument. Arguments are intense feelings. WHAM. Connection. WHAM. Car sex.

What I'm getting at here is that yes, he could be an exception, or he might just be the only person you allowed yourself to think of like that. I don't know.

4. LucasB

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Unfortunately I am one of the worse decision makers out there, for this reason exactly, I'm scared something won't work out and then I'll be left in the shit. I've always had feelings for him, I'm just not sure when it crosses the line of caring for him as a friend and caring for him as a boyfriend. Or, I suppose I can't work out whether what I felt that night was just the result of it physically feeling good or whether it was more.

So say in theory I would end it with my girlfriend to be with him (if he even wanted that), would it be wrong to talk to him about it before I did that? Or even see him again to help work out what my feeling are?

Thanks for replying by the way

---------- Post added 11th May 2014 at 07:32 AM ----------

Thanks for taking the time to say all that, it means a lot. What you've said is really really interesting regardless of my situation. But maybe you're right, I guess he's the only guy I've let myself find attractive because he made it okay and showed interest in me first. I just worry that it can't be real feelings after all this time and maybe its just physical stuff?

#4 LucasB, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So what if it is?

I mean they are your feelings, you know them better than anyone else so if you think it might just be physical, I'll go with it. Does it change anything?

6. LucasB

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It makes me the 'asshole' that leaves his girlfriend on a whim to be with a guy he's hardly spoken to in 4 years. And its especially dumb if I end up coming back in a few months time with my tail between my legs because it hasn't worked out

7. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ElliaOtaku gave an excellent comment too (probably just before you posted yours), so I won't repeat what she said to you. :icon_bigg

I'm not trying to give you label, but caring for a friend is not really the same as having sex with one. I know it's (kinda) hard to admit it to ourselves, due to the pressure society puts upon us, but it's the truth. True friend won't have sex and call it caring. So there I think there some feelings from you to him, but I think the same applies otherwise.

I can't tell whether it was more, but may I ask whether it felt like more than having sex with your girlfriend? If it felt more special, more romantic, or even if you felt more of a connection, it's a sign that you're probably more into him than into your girlfriend.

I wouldn't talk to him about this issue directly, reading that he told others you two had been experimenting. He might tell others, even if he doesn't want to.

You can however, try to figure out whether he wants to start something with you or not. Like saying "Have you found someone already? Being lonely is a rough feeling." Don't do it too directly (like I did).

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I meant more generally rather than in terms of leaving your girlfriend, I'm not touching that with a barge pole...

9. LucasB

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I suppose it was more passionate than it ever has been with my girlfriend, but that could have been because of the situation, or because it was something new, I don't know. I suppose at worst I want him to know that it wasn't meaningless to me, I just feel like such a jerk for basically having to pick between them, I hate it.

---------- Post added 11th May 2014 at 07:46 AM ----------

I think I'm more of a 'feelings' guy rather than 'physical attraction' - I know a balance is good, I just couldn't start something purely based on that. But I guess I'm not gonna find out by sitting on my ass moaning about it haha

10. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not a jerk for having to make a decision. It's not your fault that this happened, you shouldn't feel too bad about that.

I would recommend you seeing him again, try to figure out whether he is willing start something with you, but don't make it too obvious.

You'll probably feel very guilty about doing this to your girlfriend, but if you don't do anything with your feelings, you might regret it very, very much later!

To answer the question, I think you can indeed fall for just one guy, especially when your standards are high.

--

I'm also a "feeling" guy, hence I label myself demisexual. In fact, I'm rarely attracted to a girl/guy, but I can feel an attraction once I get to know someone very well.

#10 Quem, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  11. LucasB

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks man, what you've said is really helpful. I guess I'll just have to give it a go and see what happens one way or another. Looking at this site has helped me see that is not black and white who you like anyway, so its not worth getting too hung up over.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's indeed not black and white at all, once we realize that, it gets a lot easier.

Glad we could help! I wish you good luck and hope that you'll give an update once you've taken steps, although it's up to you to decide whether you will do that or not. :icon_bigg

13. confused1234

I think you need to figure out whether your friend is actually interested in you romantically. If he isn't, this really isn't much of a dilemma. Well, you still cheated on your girlfriend, but you get my point.

As for your feelings: "I suppose it was more passionate than it ever has been with my girlfriend..."

14. LucasB

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah I totally agree, if he isn't interested then its irrelevant. I just feel like I have to get my feelings in check first, otherwise I'll be a proper mess.
    I've been with my girlfriend for 4 years, I can't really say much we do is passionate anymore, so it wasn't much to compare to. But I still think it was the situation more than anything