1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homosexuality and the bible

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Emmanuella, May 12, 2014.

1. Emmanuella

Well, I'm not very well versed in Biblical passages and I tried to Google it...but doesn't the Leviticus passage say something about "man lying with man the way he lies with women".

...in my head, I don't see how this translates to "thou shall not be gay". It sounds more like we'd have to chose one or the other...men or women.. not both. In other words "though shall not be bisexual" ?!?! (Which obviously would suck for me if I were religious...). This actually reminds me of what my mom originally told me when I told her I was bi. She said I had to choose one or the other, and she really didn't care which one. But she couldn't relate to being attracted to both genders.

Anyway, just throwing that out there...thoughts?

2. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

You mean like the movie broke back mountain? How the man was married and had sexual contact with someone then, come around to complex feelings of awareness? The confusions and killing by strangers of bullying for something of so called religion that apparently the men that killed didn't have? Leviticus doesn't apply to that...

#2 Double Eagle, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  3. Emmanuella

I guess that would be one example of it.

I was just thinking of this bible line:

New International Version
    "'Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable."

This is the one that seems to be referred to most often. And maybe I just read/take things too literally...but gay men wouldn't "have relations" with a man the way they would with a woman, as they wouldn't be having relations with women period... And same goes for lesbians. (They wouldn't be sleeping with a man as they would with a woman). Bisexuality, in that case, should be the only thing being frowned upon, no ? :shrug:

4. Jethro702

The verses are Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13. First, Thou shalt not lie with a man, as with a woman: it is abomination. Second, If a man lie with a man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

There is, however, a big problem with quoting Leviticus. The problem is that Christians are no longer under the Law. We do not live our Christian life by following the Old Testament Law. The Apostle Paul makes this abundantly clear. It is not something fabricated to win an argument, or made up in the twentieth century, or manufactured to get around something somebody doesn’t like. It is clearly stated in the Greek scriptures. The Apostle Paul wrote it in Galatians:

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” (Galatians 3:10)

If we rely on following the Law (the Torah, the first five books of the Bible) we are under a curse. The passage above, Galatians 3:10, contains a quote from the Law itself, Deuteronomy 27:26. According to Paul’s statement below, things have changed.

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law by becoming a curse for us. (Galatians 3:13)

It was Jesus’ death on the cross that rescued us from the curse of the Law. If we insist on following the Law and imposing the Law on others, we negate the cross of Christ, and repudiate Christ’s death on the cross.

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. (Galatians 5:1)
    Return to the Law = Return to Slavery to Sin

According to this... None of the Old Testament law does not apply to Christians today, Jesus fulfilled the law for us, Which is why I hate when people try and use this as an argument against homosexuality.

But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. (Galatians 5:18).

Full article here: http://biblethumpingliberal.com/2011/05/19/you-can%E2%80%99t-quote-leviticus-to-prove-god-hates-homosexuality/

#4 Jethro702, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People love other people, should be that simple. If you had your own children and one of them made an innocent comment about liking both genders would you tell them they're wrong? Children are born innocent after all, we could learn a lot from them if we weren't too busy planting our own opinions into their head. If your child saw nothing wrong with it would that affect your opinion of bisexual people?

Leviticus, the Bible, and other books were written by people. Christians depict Jesus at white even though he was from Israel. Noas Arc is a twist off of the many and large floods that happened somewhere in Africa that wiped out all of their crops.

Many religions take on parts of Paganism as their own and a lot of written stories are based off of real world events but are blown out of proportion or used to explain things that people of the time couldn't understand. Religion was/is also used as a rule of law giving churches a lot of power.

I don't take the books seriously, I know being atheist skews my view a bit but have you ever played that game in school where your classmates and you sit in a circle and the teacher whispers something into the first person's ear and that person repeats it to the person next to them? By the time the message has made it all the way around it's quite a bit different.

6. confuseduser99

^THIS

But what I'm still debating with myself is the bible versus in the New Testament regarding homosexuality. What I'm starting to look at is that even if homosexuality is a sin, so are other things like sex before marriage. The majority of Christians have premarital sex. Are they too going to hell? Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and I'm starting to believe that this is paramount. As long as you accept him as your Lord and Savior, you are forgiven and saved.

Again, I'm still dealing with my religion and being gay, but this is my current line of thinking.

7. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

Philosopher's of religion debated that creation within a school of thought was indeed declared in faith before all mankind a true God of oneness. :slight_smile: One should be aware of ones self of course....by all means one should be aware of being one...Being two might be too hard? Is that what your thinking?

#7 Double Eagle, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  8. Story Jinx

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Matthew 5:10

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

LGBT people are persecuted because of their rights to be who they are. We are no different. We love. We sin. We are all humans.

Matthew 5:11

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

If we take the religious tenet that Christ is part of the triumvirate and is one in being with the Father, then persecution of the LGBT community through scripture is negated by the Beatitudes by Christ's own teachings as a manifestation of God.

10. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

There are theological (Zen) and philosophical (Rex) patterns within the bible your speaking of and the colleges teach both these separately. You may want to look into some classes :slight_smile:
    Kind of like politician's or a yin yang...

#10 Double Eagle, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  11. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it was a sin, then why did God create gay people?

Also, Ruth loved Noami in the same way Adam loved Eve.
    David and Johnathan loved more than women.
    Jesus affrimed a Gay couple.
    The deacon was gay.
    The antiochs were said to be gay.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any reference to gay sex in Leviticus is talking about cult rape. Leviticus is a bunch of old testament moral codes (such as don't eat raw meat, commit incest, bestiality, etc.), and it is only logical that is banning cult rape, any religious scholar who isn't homophobic will tell you that.

Also, tons of evidence supports the theory that Jesus Christ was a gay man, and Disciple John was his partner.

#12 BryanM, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  13. Saint Otaku

Not that I care too much, but this is just speculation, as in none of these instances are the relationships explicitly stated to be sexual.

Better questions: If God was going to simply negate the Law through killing himself, then why did he make the Law in the first place? If only God can create, then how could sin have entered the world without being created? Is there a sensible reason the Torah condemns the great number of harmless acts as it does?

14. Despitelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why is christianism believed to be such an important religion? I am not religious at all, but If I had to choice a religion, it would be paganism. It is much more funny and doesn't condemn homosexuality or any type of sexual conduct. So does buddhism, if you didn't know.

CHristians tend to use the bible to condemn something that they don't like, for example the bible was used to justify apartheid and discrimination against black people. Now no one would dare to do it. We don't live in a teocracy, and unless you live in the bible belt, you have nothing to worry about what people think. Be yourself and don't listen to a book who was written over 2000 years ago. Love is not a crime nor something to be ashamed of.

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess what, homophobic Christians are not well versed in Biblical knowledge either. You wouldn't think so when you hear them spouting off about "what the Bible says", but when you challenge them with deeper theological arguments it exposes their complete lack of understanding and makes them extremely defensive and sometimes aggressive.

The passage from Leviticus needs to be examined in it's original context (not our 21st century mindset) and we need to understand that it has be re-translated into English and many other languages and edited for different versions of the Bible many times over. It's hardly a reliable source for arguing against same sex, or bisexual attraction.

Out of thousands of passages from scripture, the conservatives and evangelicals rely on fewer than ten to denounce homosexuality. It's like walking on quicksand and they get very irritated when you point it out to them.

16. Emberblaze

Here's how I see it:

The world is FULL of issues and problems that need resolving: famine, poverty,disease, etc. But when people waste their time actively spreading hate and discrimination, NONE of that gets solved because they're too busy fighting among the human race.

So what would God prefer? People who waste all their time hating other people or people who spend their time helping other people?

I don't really live by the Bible too much for multiple reasons, the number one reason being it was written eons ago and translated so many times that the message has probably been changed anyway. Also, I've never taken the time to read the entire thing (I think the furthest I got was leviticus or deutoronomy).

I live in Georgia, sooo, I'm pretty much in the Bible belt. I don't really go to church that much because all it really does is talk about the Bible nd how to apply it to your life, and which isn't exactly BAD because some churches I've been too are pretty nice and full of good people.

But anyway, the Bible's just too full of speculation and too commonly used where people pick and choose what to believe and such. To be a good christian, it isn't rocket science. Just be a good, caring person. I don't need to read a 3000 page book to know that, and frankly, my character is a lot better than most avid church goers that I know, soooo...

17. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know it's difficult to type my thoughts in here without them sounding too offensive... but really, some of these principles were made so that people would be easier to control. I'm pretty sure that the likes of Jesus and whatnot had good intentions, but clearly not the people who used religious excuses to infiltrate acountry and murder thousands of people, in the name of God and love.

If I had to pick a religion, (but then again believing that some supernatural force exists is beyond me) I'd probably be a buddhist. It's all about peace and harmony and not impaling anyone who doesn't agree with you.

18. NFinity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The term homosexual wasn't coined until 1869; first appearing in an English bible in 1946. When was the original bible written again? The word homosexual in modern day bibles has no credibility.

It is believed that Paul in the bible coined the term "arsenokoitai" Paul's intended meaning behind this word has been lost. But arsen means man, koitai means beds. The term "koitai"(Beds) was known as an euphemism for sexual intercourse in those times. The thought by modern-day bible traditionalist is that Paul was referencing Leviticus 18:22, "a male shall not lie with a woman as he does with a woman..." when he coined the term arsenokoitai. Though there was a time in history when many believed the word referred to masturbation. After all, arsen is singular for male. Another time, many believed it referred to male prostitutes. Again arsen is singular for male, koitai is plural for bed(beds). A man who sleeps in many beds? or if you use the euphemism "beds", a man who "beds {has sexual intercourse}" with many men(or women) Malakoi also found in 1 Corinthians 6:9, was a word that meant soft. It has been believed that arsenokoitai referred to the active male prostitute, while malakoi referred to the passive partner in such acts. But in 1946, it was just decided arsenokoitai meant homosexual, without any proof for this translation. Arsen means man, but there are female homosexuals too.

Leviticus 18:22, 20:13. states that a male shall not lie with a male as he does with a woman; it is an abomination. Here the word abomination was translated from the word "toebah" But, research of toebah shows that it seemed to mean something closer to today's word, "taboo". It referred to what is objectionable for religious or cultural reasons. Abomination wasn't the proper word to use when translating. The Hebrew word "Zimah" means "that which is inherently wrong" If Zimah had been used instead of toebah, than abomination would have been a properly used word for the translation. For all the things that were said to be toebah, the Levittes weren't saying other cultures couldn't practice these things, they just felt it was wrong for themselves. 20:13 advises the death penalty for a male who lies with another male. Here's the thing, every Leviticus law that prescribes the death penalty as punishment is repeated again in Deuteronomy, except one. That one law being, male shall not lie with male (Leviticus 20:13). Of all the "death penalty laws" why was that not important to repeat again? Or was it repeated, but in a way that made it clearer what it was referring too? In Deuteronomy, it prescribes the death penalty for a shrine prostitute. A shrine prostitute is never mentioned in Leviticus. Could it be a male prostitute that Leviticus 18:22, 20:13 is really referring too. You know male prostitute, the same term that in the past has thought to be what the word arsenokoitai was referring too.

Leviticus was written during a time when they ignorantly thought that a man's sperm contained the whole child. A woman only provided the incubator space, they played no role in creating new life. They also thought a man had a limited amount of sperm. When a man didn't ejaculate into a woman, he was seen as wasting new life.

For a more in-depth look at what I've mentioned above plus more, check out these sites"
    Homosexuality and The Bible
    Uncovering “homosexuaity” in the Bible: Deuteronomy and 1 Kings reference to male shrine prostitution in Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 | Writings of a Christian lesbian