1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being selfish?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dino14, May 13, 2014.

1. Dino14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know that this has nothing to do with me being gay, or anybody else being gay, but I really need to rant about it because it's all I can think about!

I'm 22 tomorrow, and my best friend and I had made a pact that we would organise each other's birthdays, as that way we could avoid the stress of planning something super fun, and we could just enjoy our days and our parties!

Last year, my 21st sucked because I had exams and coursework around my birthday so I organised a quick meal and some drinks with my friends so that it was simple, with the promise that this year, as I am about to graduate this July, we would do something much more cool and I wouldn't have to worry about it.

It turns out, that my friend struck out and I don't know how to feel about it. Three days ago, she was like "yeah, I still don't know what to do" and then added me to a group chat with a few friends and was like "shall we just go for a meal and drink?"

I don't know; I just feel a little let down. Like, I organised that last year as a last minute thing and I don't really feel happy about how it's going this year. Am I being selfish to have expected more effort, or am I right in being disappointed?

2. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    I probably would be a bit disappointed too if I was in that situation, since she told you she would plan something for you and then broke her word. It's probably not helpful to hold on to that disappointment, though.

You say she's your best friend -- I'm sure she wouldn't have willingly let you down like that; she was probably also really busy recently. She probably feels bad about it too. At this point, the only thing you can do to help the situation is forgive her, and enjoy the meal and drink for what they're worth. (And after that, I'm sure that next time around she'll want even more strongly to do something special for you. =) )

Happy birthday tomorrow, by the way!

3. Derivative

Derivative Guest

I wouldn't feel too let down by it, if you've got your friends with you to celebrate then that's the most important part. Hope you have a nice birthday! :slight_smile:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I can imagine feeling somewhat let down by that.

Then again, I've tried organizing something cool for my partner about seven or eight times now...and he's been underwhelmed every single time. Even the surprise party (which I held on his half-birthday) warranted just a shrug. Now I simply say "You organize it, and just tell me where and when to show up." :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Jwis

No I don't think you're being selfish, but I wouldn't dwell on it. It might be difficult but you will have a harder time enjoying yourself if you are upset. Go out and have a good meal and a few drinks and have fun! Go out with the attitude it could be the best night of your life!! Who knows what can happen!

Happy birthday :slight_smile: