1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't be gay!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Colorful13, May 14, 2014.

1. Colorful13

My grandma doesn't know I like girls and said dont go gay. What do I do, she is an important part of my life and that is really depressing to know that she wont accept me when I tell her. What would you do?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is still a chance she will accept you. Homophobia goes beyond the person and into (forgive my advanced word) the zeitgeist. It is going away but is still a part of us, and that may be some of why your grandma said that. But if you tell her that you are, she will be forced to decide between her destructive opinion, or you. And there is a very good chance she'll choose you.

3. Colorful13

Thanks Argentwing, lets hope.

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think in order to offer advice, we need to know if she understands your gender and is accepting of that.

It's not completely clear to me...when I see "Transsexual male" I think transman...FtM. But I could be mistaken. If you don't mind clarifying, are you FtM or MtF...and does your grandmother know and accept you as the gender with which you identify?

Once I get that, I can make more sense of questions of sexuality.

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Your problem isn't being gay because YOU'RE NOT GAY!!

You're a straight dude. Your grandmother has to accept you as a guy, not as a lesbian. Why do you still do the same mistakes of some times ago, despite after I, with some people, corrected you?

If you're uncertain about gender, if you feel more butch that trans FTM, just write on you profile "I don't know/I'm not sure/Maybe FTM/..." or similar stuff.

It's offensive for us, straight transgender people, being mistaken for homosexual folks, not because it's bad to be gay, absolutely, but because we deserve to be treat as we feel inside, for who we are.

So, please be more clear to yourself, for you and for straight trans community on here. Thanks :slight_smile:

#5 FireSmoke, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
  6. Jim1454

Let's cut the OP a little slack, OK? He is 13 years old and is looking for support rather than a lecture.

Colorful13 - I think your grandma might be accepting once she knows the truth about you. But maybe for the time being you don't need to tell her - no sense introducing more drama into your life than you need. And remember that even though it is hurtful, she's probably saying this things because she cares about you. Some people from that generation don't really understand that you can't help being gay or trans (or both!).

Welcome to EC!

7. Colorful13

I put lesbian or gay because she doesn't know that I am FtM, I understand that I am straight but to her I would be gay because she doesn't know.

---------- Post added 15th May 2014 at 01:48 PM ----------

Thanks jim :slight_smile:

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

It wasn't a lecture but just a specification.

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for clarifying!

I agree with Jim that there's not reason to tell her anything (certainly nothing she doesn't need to know). I also agree that she says what she does out of love, and may well change her tune once she realizes that you aren't as she currently thinks of you.

But if/when you do decide to share something with her, I'd suggest starting with the gender, rather than the sexuality. Not because it would be easier for her to wrap her head around. But because it would best help her to understand who you are, and because if she can get her head around it, she'll have much less trouble with you liking girls.

In any case, welcome to EC...I wish you well!

10. Colorful13

Thanks, that does actually does make sense. I'll be sure to start that conversation with the gender, it probably will get the worst out of the way.