1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Be Myself

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, May 18, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

It's like I can't even breathe in my house, my Parents are too ready to imply my opinion is stupid or I'm dumb to think that way, and it's like they have a way of saying everything wrong with it, even though at the base of it all, it's just an opinion. Also when I don't get something, my Dad butts in and says " Oh well Myles would think like this " and I can't stand it when people talk to me like I'm stupid. They were then having a conversation about how kids of this generation are so ungrateful and how in the "different" society, as my Dad calls it, kids don't say "I hate my mum, I hate my Dad" 24/7, and actually appreciate what their parents do. He also used the "blood is thicker than water" argument, and I want to cut him off when I'm old enough, but I don't want to know years after that how wrong I am, which is why I will try with him one last time before I move out. Am I doing the right thing?

Also, I feel I should get over my parents belittling and insulting me, but it hurts me and I often go somewhere and cry when I do get into an argument. Can I get over this, and if so, How?

I become a completely different person when I come home from school, I just don't want to be around my parents because I feel like an argument is going to happen. I think it's because you have to act a certain way at home, but maybe I'm wrong?

2. mangotree

Is it possible that they don't know what they're doing is hurting you?
    Do they know that you go somewhere to cry often?

Every day I come by people who think they KNOW EVERYTHING and they have no trouble making sure everyone else hears about it. They use "being intellectual" as an excuse to spew forth their every thought.
    Maybe your parents are a bit like that.

The trouble with parents is you look up to them your whole life, strongly valuing their opinions, believing what they believe. But at some point you realise they make mistakes, they're imperfect, they have many faults and they often do stupid things.
    All they can do is their best and sometimes their best is a bit shit, but they think they're doing the right thing.
    They're probably raising you the way they were raised and talk like their parents talked.
    We often forget that they're just as human as we are.

I wouldn't suggest moving out at your age.
    As difficult as it would be, the first thing to do would be to have a conversation about why they treat you the way they do.

Peace be with you mate.