1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

helping mom understand

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thoughtbubble, May 21, 2014.

1. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone, hope you are all having a great day.
    I came out to my mom back in December. She told me that it was my life, and that she still loves me. Everything has been the same,she has not changed at all.

I have a boyfriend, but my mom doesnt seem to like him. She always gets mad when he is around (she does not say anything, but I can tell). I have told her how great he is, and that he is not bad. That is when I realized its not him who she doesnt like, its the "boyfriend" idea. My grandmother was extremely religious and conservative, so it makes sense that some of those thoughts still linger with my mom. My mom is not too religious but she is still a catholic. She explained that she does not want to go to hell for condoning my behavior. At a different time, i could really see that she was trying to change her mind set. We were just talking and she told me that she thinks of all the things my grandma told her were sins. She just said that its hard for her because she has been told that being gay is a sin. I love my mom and boyfriend and i just wish there was a way i could help my mom.
    Have any of you been through this? any suggestions on what i can do?
    ps. my mom is hispanic and catholic, incase that matters.

Thank you in advance

2. Kat777

I think that the way some people are raised religiously really sticks with them, and is hard for them to un-learn. It will be hard for her, but eventually she will get used to it. I know that's not very helpful now, but as long as you are patient with her, it will become easier for her to get used to. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes time. It's one thing for a parent to say to her kid "I have no problem with you being gay." But it really smacks her in the face the first time she sees you all lovey-dovey with a boyfriend. That makes it real in a way that talking about it in the abstract cannot.

You might try talking to her about it if you have the sort of social contract with her where you can talk about feelings and that sort of thing. If not, then I would say if you simply let it be, she will eventually come around.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you could try telling her that it would be better to stand before Jesus and be told it was wrong to be inclusive and show love to Gays including her child and their significant other than to be told it was wrong to be exclude and not accept a vulnerable minority.

5. polarpol

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Excuse me while I cherry pick Bible quotes and give a lecture about them.

Este es mi mandamiento: ámense unos a otros como yo los he amado a ustedes/ This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. (Juan/John 15:12)

Aquel de ustedes que esté libre de pecado, que tire la primera piedra/ Those of you who are free of sin, cast the first stone (Juan/John 8:1)

No juzguéis a los demás si no queréis ser juzgados. Porque con el mismo juicio que juzgareis habéis de ser juzgados, y con la misma medida que midiereis, seréis medidos vosotros/Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. (Matthew 7, 1:2)

The Biblical quotes that allegedly ban homosexuality come from the Old Testament. Christianism is built around the New Testament, though, since its central figure is Jesus. And, as most catholic nuns and priests will tell you, he was kind, noble and always stood up for the needy or the ostracized. He figuratively would throw social conventions and rules out of the window if it meant helping people.

Las citas bíblicas que presuntamente prohiben la homosexualidad vienen del Antiguo Testamento. El Cristianismo está construido alrededor de Jesús, es decir, del Nuevo Testamento. Muchos curas y monjas católicas pueden decir con certeza que Él era noble, generoso, y siempre defendió a los necesitados y sometidos al ostracismo. Jesús hubiera lanzado las convenciones sociales y reglas por la ventana, si eso significaba ayudar a la gente.

6. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ThAnks everyone :slight_smile: it really did help. I will give my mom time and slowly talk to her about it.
    Also thanks polarpol I'm appreciate the texts from the bible. I think this will also help.