1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WeissCourt14, May 21, 2014.

1. WeissCourt14

Hey, so I've been having feelings for this person quite a while, just want to let you guys know that this is a complicated and long story, completely 100% real, and is still going on. I just need advice, that's all.
    Just to clarify before I start, I'm asexual, and I don't know if I'm Pansexual or Bisexual, I just never had any attractions for both sexes until recently, and it's 100% emotional, I've always told myself I will love whoever I love regardless of gender, I just never liked guys until this one guy came along. Anyway, no further interruptions.
    Okay, so I'm a 17 high school senior graduating in less than 3 weeks, I have lot of friends, a great job, and my grades are above average. Should be perfect right? Surprisingly it isn't. I'm a year younger than my classmates due to skipping a grade, my parent expects a lot out of me as she is a widow raising me and my 3 siblings without a husband and a stable source of income. I'm the second oldest and oldest male in the house so that automatically makes me the "man of the house". I'm also foreign and Muslim so a relationship with someone of the same sex is something that I would hide from my family, but that's not my real issue. My family expects me to grow up, get a great career and marry and have kids with a woman (which has always been my dream and goal to this very day), I'm also very faithful to my religion and have a strong sense of morality, but when it comes to love, my morality isn't based on my religion. My morality isn't my religion but it is based off of it and just basically being a good person, so having homosexual feelings isn't the issue here either.
    My real problem started back in Sophomore year when I met a guy in my grade, we'll call him Alex for now, when I first met him, nothing really happened and we were barely classmates, he's white, brunette (bleaches his hair for water polo), brown eyes, tall, athletic, smart, and nicely built. I always admired him for being smart and athletic and such, wished I could be more like him, and hoped we'd be friends. Towards the end of the year, we were paired up together for a project, that was when I realized how much of an arrogant, pompous, douche he was. Sounded arrogant, acted arrogantly, and begrudgingly towards me for no reason when him and I never even conversed before this, I vowed to never be friends with him and just ignore him. When we presented our project, he countered what I was saying and we got points off for not being good partners. That year, I avoided him and dreaded every interaction I had with him mind you we only had one class together, both of us's favorite subject: English.
    Come Junior year, for the first month of school, I still hated him, this time we had Algebra 2, Chemistry, and Eng. AP together in a row so I would have to put up with him 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hour in a row. He still acted with hatred towards me and I just brushed it off, come the month of November and my downward spiral begins. In effort to make myself a better person, I decided to discard all my hatred for people and just fill myself with positive feelings. That's when I truly broke out of my shell in high school and stopped being awkward and shy. I was very introverted Freshmen year, it got less and less Sophomore year, and Junior year, I became very outgoing. I became more social, made many friends and became loved by my classmates. My friends and family started noticing it and my mom became proud of me for getting a personality. When I broke out, I was/still is very feminine and loved girls emotionally and platonically more than guys, I didn't make many guy friends due to being abused by my cousin when I was a child and built a defense mechanism that stopped me from befriending guys much. I got along with girls a lot more, my friend group is mainly girls, ironically my 2 best friends are guys, I love them from the bottom of my heart. I was raised with 2 of my sisters and little brother, as we lost our father very early in our lives. When I became more outgoing and friendly, I made friends, family was proud, teachers loved me. I also tried to be a better person to Alex, which is when I started falling for him, someone I didn't even know, Someone I was barely classmates with, I fell for him. The first and only guy I fell for and feel attracted to so far. As the year went by, he became less and less hateful towards me. I, on the other hand, fell for him deeper and deeper. We didn't really become friends, but we become classmates. I remember one time when I said something funny and he laughed and smiled at me and I just kind of flew to heaven. :icon_bigg I even remember when he said my name for the first and only time, he was asking for my Algebra book (I was the only kid in class to carry it around, plus, I was one of the 3 smartest kids in that class), but when he said my name, my heart fluttered, I think I'be only told my female best friend about my feelings towards him. She opposed my feelings because him and I were opposites, he was anti social and I wasn't, but I think that's what attracted me to him. The year ended with my fully acknowledging my feelings for him and telling my best female friend, we'll call her Joyce, about it. Throughout the summer, I've found out he had a girlfriend since November, I tried to get over it, but I've always wanted to bump into him somewhere nice as our town is very small.
    Come Senior year, I'm head over heels, this time, him and I had only Analysis (math) together, the feelings were so strong but him and I never had any interaction this year so far. I started missing classes and skipping school just so I don't see him and get my hopes up about him being gay as I've heard rumors about him, a friend of mine told me he has a lot of female friends, and that kind of got my hopes up but he still had a girlfriend. I've told Joyce I was in love with him and this time she approved of it saying that him and I would make a cute couple. His girlfriend didn't go to the same school, so I could bare with that, but the fact that he might still hate me and doesn't reciprocate my feelings scared me and I would dread seeing him as much as I loved seeing him. It was heaven and hell to be around him. A few month ago, around January which is both him and I's birth month, I heard rumors that he broke up with his girlfriend and started playing soggy biscuit with his water polo teammates as he was the captain of the varsity team. Both rumors were unconfirmed, but he changed his profile pic on Facebook that had him and his GF. I started getting my hopes up again. I came to class and my love for him gave me the strength to face him. One time after class, he was talking to his friend about how many people he hates in our math class and he put his hand on my chair while standing behind me as I was sitting in it, when I sensed his hand, I just got up and took my stuff and left. I don't think that meant anything, but it was the first time he ever put his hand on my chair and stood so close to me for a long period of time. This of course, made me realize that I can't just do this to myself and started hating myself for overthinking everything he does and started missing class again until finals. Tomorrow is my last class period with him and may be my last day to see him. I'm still in love with him, but I also don't wanna get hurt. I imagine is being vert happy if we became a couple, but I don't wanna string myself along and end up getting hurt. I keep thinking I should tell him, but I can count the number of times we talked on my fingers, we're not even Facebook friends, why would he even give me the time of his day? I'm better off just not telling him, but what if there is a slight chance that he feels the same and that was why he never talked to me, he just didn't know how to approach me, especially since we're both guys. I'm just so confused, I never got attracted to any girl this way, and he is the only guy I felt this way towards.
    I'M SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY BUT IF YOU READ IT, I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER.

2. WeissCourt14

3. VireBlaze

Well, I'm not sure what answers I can really provide, honestly, but...

If I had to give any advice at all, I'd say to just keep it as friends, for now. I think you're putting yourself under a lot of turmoil with this, and you need to be careful about where you tread. Maybe talk to him and see if you can get some feelers out about him, get to know him a bit more, if you can. You might very well be right, about him being afraid to approach you, as well, but this is a very awkward slope without much footing to go on.

If it's too painful to just even be friends, then you can either try to talk to him about your feelings towards him, in private, which is risky in a sense, but it's some weight off your shoulders, or try to let him go. Dwelling on these feelings in the long run will just end up being poisonous and really stressful to your over-all health. Of course, you might want to do this when the school year is done or when you've graduated - I don't know what your situation is like with sexuality in regards to your friends and family, how accepting of it they are, how dangerous it could potentially be if you were to come out.

Getting an over-all sense and feel of things right now - in regards to Alex, how accepting your friends and family are of your attractions, how safe it is for you to come out or even pursue something with this guy - is probably a good course of action.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have so little to go on with Alex and from the very small amount you do actually know about him, there is nothing like enough to go out there and start expressing the deepest feelings of your heart. It would be a huge risk that could lead to you getting badly hurt.

Communication hasn't been great between the two of you throughout school and friendship hasn't even developed. If you haven't been able to reach the point of friendship at this late stage, there is really little basis for attempting to take things any further with all the associated risks.