1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have a bit of internalized homophobia.. Any other Lesbians deal with this?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChloeKiss, May 21, 2014.

1. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Maybe I still don't accept myself. It's just that I seem to hate the fact that I don't find men attractive.. and I hate how i've litterally taught myself to believe that being a lesbian makes you masculine/takes away your femininity. I am not a masculine girl.. and when I think about it.. I almost feel like i'd have to be masculine to like women.. Or is that me overthinking things? Everytime I think of spending my life with a guy it disturbs me/makes me uncomfortable.. But it just seems so normal to me compared to my desire to be with a woman. Maybe it's because society has taught us all from as far back as I can remember that it isn't normal to be gay. I can't stop liking women though.. everytime I see a cute girl I sort of resent myself.. but i'm also left breathless.. because they are so enchanting/desirable to me. I can't relate to heterosexual women.. I guess I just wish I could so that I wouldn't be torturing myself with so much envy.

I envy straight people. But I also think to myself when I meet a straight girl.. How could you not like women? Which makes me again think to myself.. Because it's not ''normal'' I only say that to myself sometimes.. it's very rare but it still gobsmacks me. :icon_sad:

What do you guys think? Any advice?

#1 ChloeKiss, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: I think I have a bit of internalized homophobia.. Any other Lesbians deal with th

Well you could start by rethinking your definition of masculine, because basically what it sounds like is you are equating 'leadership' (for lack of a better word) with masculine.

everytime I see a cute girl I sort of resent myself.. but i'm also left breathless.. because they are so enchanting/desirable to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm picturing this scenario and trying to imagine your thoughts and I get this.

Woah, that girl is cute! I would sooooo date her! OMG she looked at me! Why isn't she coming over? Well I can't go over, girls don't do the approach! Wait...she's a girl...FUCK...how does this WORK!?

Does that sound about right?

3. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Re: I think I have a bit of internalized homophobia.. Any other Lesbians deal with th

Sorry I worded it wrong.. I'm not stupid I promise! Just a mistake :lol:

As for the scenario you have been picturing in your head.. Yes that's about right. Infact there is this super cute girl at the grocery store in my area and she is just.. sooo intimidating.. but i'm good at hiding it. It doesn't help that she's like 24-26 years old.. There's just something about her though.. Gets me going :slight_smile: Anyway.. yeah I guess the leadership role is what confuses me.

But does what I wrote sound like internalized homophobia to you?

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I have internalized homophobia too, just not for the reasons you do (I actually prefer being masculine).

However, It's common to feel shame and think heterocentric thoughts around our sexuality since we live in a heterosexist society.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Not really, I mean you're not put off by the fact that you are both women, you're put off by the fact that neither of you are men.

Seriously, in your ideal scenario, which one of you would 'take the lead' so to speak?

Now what if I phrase that another way. Which one of you is 'the guy' in that scenario.

By the sounds of things, in your mind (whether you think this consciously or not), a straight girl has the advantage. She can sit there and 'the guy' will come to her. He will initiate, be more forward, take 'the lead' if you will.

At this point you are probably (or at least hopefully) yelling at the screen "HOLLY YOU STUPID COW, GIRLS CAN TAKE CHARGE TOO! FUCK YOU, YOU BACKWARDS THINKING ARSE-BASKET!"

I hope you are, because that is precisely my point. If you are equating being forward with being masculine you ARE going to struggle.

By the sounds of things YOU don't want to be the one to make a move. You said this girl is intimidating. Why?

6. BelleFromHell

I have a ton of internalized homophobia as well.

I'm a femme tomboy. In other words, I look feminine, but I don't wear makeup (allergic to most brands, plus, I don't know how the hell people can apply that stuff without looking like a racoon) and I'm into things that are "tomboyish" (videogames, anime/manga, Star Trek, science/history, mixed music tastes, etc...)

I don't like the lesbian community or the straight community. Straight women think I'm not feminine enough, while lesbians think I'm too feminine. I feel completely isolated around both groups, lesbians especially. They mistake me for something I'm not, while I expect them to be the ones who make me feel less alienated. It's absolute bullshit.

I want to be more feminine, but at the same time, I see girly women being treated as weak, sexual objects. I don't want to be seen like that... :frowning2:

My only advice is to not be like me, personality wise. My moody-ness only makes me feel worse.

7. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I have internalized homophobia as well. I'm afraid to come out completely because I don't want people to think I'm going to start dressing masculine or that's the type of girl I'm going to date. Neither is true. I'm also afraid to get involved with the LGBT community because I worry the only lesbians I meet will be butch. I feel bad for feeling this way.

8. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Nope.

9. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I definitely prefer the submissive role.. So you are right about me not wanting to make a move.. I get the urge to but back down almost always.. I have flirted with a girl drunk before.. like made it obvious I thought she was a cutie. This girl is intimidating because she is so lovely.. does that answer your question? I can't answer it myself.

Anyway thanks for your advise..

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 09:54 PM ----------

Care to give me your reasoning as to why? It would be better then just saying nope. Only if you're comfortable telling..

Thanks everyone else for your replies!

10. wanderinggirl

It takes a while to get over internalized homophobia. We've all heard negative stereotypes about lesbians and if you hear it enough times you get the message loud and clear. It's important to tune out the stupid a**holes who say ignorant shit, and start listening to the voices of truth and acceptance out there. Why listen to miserable straight people when there are plenty of happy lesbians whose stories are much more helpful to you?

As to gender presentation, there is absolutely no reason why you have to be masculine to like women. Guess what? To like women, all you have to do is like women! However, if you're stressed about it because it doesn't feel like you, then maybe you should question why you are femme: is it because it's how you feel or because it's more socially acceptable? It also doesn't have to be all-or-nothing; I often dress more tomboy in my daily life and more femme for special events or around family. But I know that's its own form of cowardice. In any case, dress how you wanna dress, wear your makeup and do your hair; whatever you do, do it with pride!

11. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Do I need a special reason to not be internally homophobic? I don't have one.

12. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

It's because it's how I feel :slight_smile: Thank you for your reply though.. loved the last part ha :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd May 2014 at 12:05 AM ----------

Okay then?