1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my family I like to crossdress?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MissMook, May 22, 2014.

1. MissMook

Okay, I'm going to be honest, I'm still living with my family (two sisters and my Mom). It's going to take me a while before I can finally get a place of my own. Thanks, minimum wage... :dry:

Anyway, I've been crossdressing in secret as sort of my way to express my feminine self for a couple months now. Over time though, my urges to crossdress have been gradually recurring more frequently and I stay in drag for longer periods of time. I also have to hide my clothes and wash them in secret. I don't want anyone to walk in on me during one of my sessions, be alarmed, and think it's just a fetish. I like to look girly and I feel like myself more than when I'm dressed in boring mens' clothes (no offense to anyone out there who prefer them). I feel telling them at some point will lessen the blow instead of them finding out the wrong way.

Should I tell them? Or should I just be patient and wait to get my own place?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on two things.

1. How do you think they would take that news

2. How highly do you rate your ability control a situation and calm down raving fools

If you think they will take it well, or if you think the chances of you being able to convince that that it's GOING to be happening and it is not something they have a say about then great.

If not, you are just making problems for yourself. I mean, in secret, it sucks but you can do it. If you tell your mum, she goes spare and bans you from doing it in her house then you have a problem.

3. MissMook

Well...like me, they are some of the most open minded people I know. I feel like my Mom would accept it well the most. I'm not sure how my sisters would react though. One of them has a bit of a passive-aggressive grudge against me for being the "golden child, vegetarian, art school student" and may think it's a "special snowflake" sort of thing. The other, however, looks up to me and we share the same interests. But she's 12 and I don't think she's aware of the concept of crossdressing.

I'm more afraid of them thinking it will completely change who I am as a person and they'll start treating me different: I mean...I'm 23 and NOW I admit this? Then again, this is probably just me exaggerating the situation in my mind.

I know I can speak up for myself well in writing, I'm just not that good with spoken words though.

4. mangotree

What are your plans for after you tell them?
    Do you want to dress in drag around them?
    Maybe dress in drag in public or at a gay bar or on stage?

Is there a possibility that the thought/thrill of "getting caught" makes it a bit more exciting for you? It's not uncommon. If this is the case, maybe it's worth waiting until you move out.

Peace be with you.

5. MissMook

I planned to just dress in drag only on certain days or occasions, but most likely only keep it at home. I'm not sure how awkward that would make things, but then I would never pass up the opportunity to go clothes shopping or get my nails done ever again. I would love to crossdress in public, but I'm very well aware of the hostility and violence towards crossdressers.

I don't think it's the thrill of getting caught. I've crossdressed in public before, but it was only for a gender-bender ball my school was having. Going out in drag gave me more of a thrill than anything else that night, I felt more confident and I just felt happier with how I looked. If I could, I would do it all over again.

6. mangotree

Shame they don't have more gender-bender balls hey?
    Not a bad business idea actually.

It sounds like you've got it sorted out in your mind and like you want to share that side of yourself for good reasons.

If you really really really want to tell people (and it sounds like you do), then do it as soon as you can. Different situation, but I came out at 21 and afterwards I felt a bit like I'd wasted half of my life worrying about nothing.

I guess just make sure you've prepared somewhere to go afterwards - like a friends place or something - just in case it goes tits up.
    And have as many questions as you can answered in your head before they ask them. The last thing you want is for them to think you're confused.

Peace!

7. MissMook

Hmm...I've got enough worries as is, and I'd hate to spend more time worrying about it than I should spend actually enjoying it. I'll tell them very soon, but once I feel the time is right to bring it up.

I really appreciate the support. Thank you! ^___^

8. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest