1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental Health and Getting a Counselor/Therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, May 22, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so... i dont know for sure, but there are things ive noticed about myself and my life that would indicated that i have some sort of anxiety...and maybe depersonalization/derealization? Im not sure. But I want to figure it out and start working on it before it gets worse. How can i ask my parents to help me get whatever I might need? Also is counseling inexpensive/covered by health insurance? Because my family doesnt have a whole lot of money and if we couldnt get it for relatively cheap, Im not even going to bring it up because then they will just be worrying about me and nothing good will come from telling them.

2. Jimmy04093

I would say it mostly depends on your relationship with your parents. It could be as simple as telling them you would like to see a therapist but aren't comfortable telling them why at the moment, or it could be a whole lot harder if the relationship is in bad shape. Another option is the public school system. Most schools have one or more counsellors available to work through most issues with students for free.
    For comparison, my therapist visits are typically $135 for an hour-long session, with insurance covering part of it. (Depends on what kind of coverage you and your family have.)
    Lastly, it is very important for you to find a therapist that you trust and feel comfortable with.

3. shadowmonger

Out Status:
    A few people
    im in college and theres a couseling service for students. one of the bes decsions i ver made. if you can swing it and think you need it then it can only help.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most areas have free or low cost counseling available and many therapists will offer a siding scale to families with low incomes. I would discuss with your parents. You are totally correct that addressing issues now will make it significantly easier than waiting 5 or 10 years.