1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I join Mensa?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wuggums47, May 23, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I would just like to say that I'm pretty much opposed to the entire idea of an exclusive club only for "smart" people. But I think that it might look good on a college application. I would get in without issue, but only because I'm good at taking tests. The entire idea of an IQ test, basing the sum of someones intellect on how well they took a test at one specific point in time is ridiculous.

I want to get in to a good college, but at the same time joining mensa would feel like selling out. I don't want to be an elitist. Do you think getting good grades should be enough? I don't have any extracurriculars, most of my spare time goes in to my either my hobbies or internet use.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might qualify for Mensa, but with the dues and the arrogance inherent in a club exclusive to high IQs, it just seems very snobbish. But it could be beneficial if you're looking for brain exercises and looking good for colleges lol.

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good grades will give you the pick of most colleges, all but the most exclusive. I agree that the IQ-related premise of Mensa is pretty snobbish and... well, stupid. So if you object to it that much, I'd avoid joining them. How much time do you have before college application (though I'm guessing it's not much) to build up a portfolio of extracurriculars? It can be done, in 6 months I viewed a council meeting, read a few relevant books, used news stories to my advantage and acted as a poll clerk. Simple things like books read and news stories followed can be used effectively if you play them up well enough.

Then again, if you do join Mensa it's not like you have to publicise the fact or become a stereotypical loudmouth Mensa member. I'm just sceptical about how well it'll do on the application and joining it if you're fundamentally opposed to the idea. Last resort, I'd say.

4. ouji

ouji Guest

Good grades are what colleges are looking for, but joining Mensa wouldn't hurt. Along with your good grades, it could only make your college application look even better. If it were me, I would consider it.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Due to mental illness, I only started high school in october of last year at the age of 17, but I'm estimated to graduate in less than two years at the rate I'm progressing. I have time to build up extracurriculars, but the main problem is I go to a non traditional school that doesn't have any clubs. Students don't generally interact with each other at my school either, and much of the work is done online. I'm worried that this might look bad on a college resume, even if most of the students are general ed.

6. Gen

Gen

Make sure that your GPA and test scores are within the norm of those admitted to the universities of your choice and reference this entire experience in your personal statement(s). Extracurriculars can always compliment college applications, but there aren't crucial in the vast majority of cases. High GPAs, test scores, and an extremely well written personal statement should be plenty to get you through most doors.

7. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I agree with the above. I had no extracurriculars, and got into a nice university just fine with my GPA and what I wrote in my entrance application and essay alone.

8. LaurieAnderson

I don't think Mensa helps with college applications. Not to mention it's very difficult to get into (top 1%)

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I had to look this up on a website, but apparently I'm almost a member of the top 0.1%. It occurs to me that I feel like a total jerk saying that, but considering your all strangers on the internet, I don't really have to feel bad about it. But I'm not sure how reliable the site as no source is supplied.

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx

Edit: When I say look it up online, I don't mean I took an online test, I just already knew my score from when I was a kid trying to get in to a special school. Funny thing is later in life, I went to the other kind of special school, for the mentally ill.

#9 Wuggums47, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  10. kenm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out of interest, what are your hobbies? I'm not sure how it differs applying for college(university) in the US, but might they be relevant or comparable to the extracurriculars?

Depending on what you are going to study, for example, a previous example of programming or design as a hobby would be better than lots of school lead schemes/clubs?

Please correct me if it's different in the US, but the talk over here is to be doing independent things to complement awards, grades etc.

11. BelleFromHell

High-IQs run in my family, and I have family members who were in Mensa, but I can't join it because I'm homeschooled. I have an IQ of 130 and I agree that the IQ test isn't always accurate. I have no GPA, so good grades are out of the question for me. I say go for it.

12. photoguy93

Yeah, it might help for the highest of the high, but honestly.... Why not try to build who you are?
    Find a place to volunteer. Build something that could help your career someday. Mensa looks good, but how can it help you? Unless you plan in becoming a snobbish jerk for a living, maybe focus on the actual living.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Most of my hobbies revolve around nerd culture and my art. I technically am a professional artist, I have sold my pieces before, But I'm not quite sure I would call it a job, just odds and ends, usually around christmas to teachers. I do handspinning, freeform crochet, some felting, and I make chainmaille jewelry. I also do origami quite well, although I've never sold an origami piece because my own designs are crappy.

I doubt any of those will help me to become a psychiatrist, I suppose I could volunteer at a hospital.

14. Foxface

As a graduate and two time grad student I can say MENSA does little to help you get into college

It's more about GPA, test scores (ACT, SAT, GRE, GMAT etc), your personal and professional statements and history that they concern themselves with

Also if you have any volunteer work that is REALLY good looking on college applications

Now bear in mind...I am not telling you NOT to join MENSA...just that it usually does little for applications

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I already have plans to volunteer at a hospital, and I suppose that will look good considering I'm planning on going in to the medical field. And I'd like to help out with something either way.

16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard of a college or university that cared whether prospective students were MENSA members.