1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job interview tips

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Maddy, May 25, 2014.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an interview tomorrow for a job I really want, and I've never had a job interview before. Can anyone give me any advice on how to handle the interview?

I'm fairly well-spoken but can waffle a bit. I've also volunteered at this place for more than a year and have played drinking games with the interviewers.

2. IG88

Some people go in being as professional as possible, wanting to answer all the right questions, etc. But to me, it comes off as fake.

I like to be honest with my interviewers. It's worked so far.

As for preparing, ask yourself why you want the job, why you're the best for the job, and some questions directed towards yourself like what are your best and worst qualities.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always recommend having some bright questions of your own up your sleeve.
    For that moment when they say .. "is there anything you would like to ask us.." moment

nothing worse that looking blank and saying "..er, not really"

4. Richie.

Yeah familiase yourself with generic interview questions and some off the cuff ones,

I was once asked if I could be a superhero what power would I have. Others ask what animal would you be,bizarre, but you should know the best answers to these weird ones, Google is Your friend :slight_smile:

5. Hyaline

Go professional, but keep it light hearted. Some interviewers are clinical. When I interview intend to ask open ended questions to see how prepared people are. It also gives them a chance to shine or destroy their chances... Being familiar with common questions is a great thing to do.. Asking relevant questions about the job or place of employment is good too... though try to avoid asking about how many sick and vacation days you get. In AU it might not matter but in the states it comes off as an odd thing to ask about.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be a hiring manager. You want to come off as professional but not stiff. The two main things you want to convey are that you would be good to work with and that you want the job. The questions about the company/organization are part of conveying that you want the job. Anything else you can do in answering the questions to convey that you want this particular job rather than just a job in general will go far. You wouldn't believe how many people in interviews don't even manage to seem like they want a job let alone the particular job they are being interviewed for.

7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always gone in with the mindset of not caring whether I get the job or not (even if I kind hope I do). That way I tend to relax a lot more and turn the interview from an interrogation to a conversation.

I've always got the job I want by doing this and I've had a few.

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Maddy! Congrats on the interview! I'm sure you'll do well! :slight_smile:

As OGS mentioned, you want to convey that you are good fit for the job and the workplace in general, as well as that you want the job.

As you are or have been a volunteer with them, I would encourage you to draw on that experience and incorporate it into why you want to work with them. If you can, try to create a connection between the position, and something you are passionate about, which the volunteer work has allowed you to pursue. For example: "Through my volunteer work here, I have been able to pursue 'this' and 'this', which I am passionate about, and this position would allow me to keep pursuing similar things, if not the same things."

In addition to what has been mentioned, I would also suggest that you have another read through the job description, and try to come up with potential questions and answers. Usually interviewers want to know more about you, your knowledge about the organization/company, and how you have used some of the skills during previous experiences (which can include your volunteer work) that they are looking for.

Before going in, take a deep breath, and try to see it just as a conversation between you and the interviewers. You already know the interviewers which should help.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, everyone!

The workplace is a community radio station. I've been a volunteer presenter and producer since the start of last year. This job is trainer and workshop facilitator, so I'd be teaching new people how to present and use the technology.

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds like a great position, Maddy! You have the skills, knowledge and experience, for it. I'm sure you'll do great! :slight_smile:

11. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I'd say smile, be upbeat.. Not too crazy though :lol:

You have an advantage since your familiar with the interviewers.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Smile. Having a smile during a job interview shows confidence, and will show you are an open person.
    2. Body language. Go for positive body language (no slouching, crossing legs, arms, tapping fingers, bad eye contact, etc.)
    3. Avoid uh's and um's. If you need time to think out an answer to a question, take some time. Uh's and um's sound bad to interviewers.
    4. Close with a nice, firm, handshake.

That's about all. Hope this helped. :slight_smile:

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got the job. :grin: They contacted me just over 24 hours after the interview, they liked me that much!

14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations Maddy!!!! That is absolute fantastic news!!! :grin:

15. Hyaline

YAY!!! congrats!

16. KyleD