1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rosepetal, May 25, 2014.

1. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have applied to chain stores and none of them have hired me bc I have no work experience. How am I going to job experience when they don't hire and train employees?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Walmart, Target, and fast food restaurants are often starting places for people with no work experience. I'd suggest trying there.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Another thing to is you can do volunteer work for a while and put that down as work experience too but I agree with chip those places are more likely to hire

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I was able to get a job at Wal-Mart, a few years ago, by thinking outside the box. When I would approach them, they told me to go to their application machine. I did this, and filled out their form. I was told that the application stays in the system for 3 months, and left it at that.

I gave them 48 hours, then called to check on my application. I was told it hadn't been looked at.

Fine.

Another 48 hours, I call again. Same thing.

Fine.

Another 48 hours, I call once more. Same thing again.

Fine.

I went back to Wal-Mart this time. I would walk around until I found aisles that were messed up, disorganized, or had not been zoned. I made sure to do just this, while near the cameras, so somebody would see me. It took nearly a week but, finally, I was approached by a manager (who had been notified of my actions via security cameras). They asked me what I was doing, my name, and so forth. I mentioned I had turned in an application. The manager, impressed not only by my perseverance, but also my clever approach, hired me on the spot.

Sometimes you have to go a little harder than usual to stand out, because anybody can fill out an application or show up. Sometimes it takes pestering them with e-mails/phone calls/handwritten letters, and sometimes it requires extra experience, which you can rack up easily, if you go along with what else has been mentioned here.

5. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you :slight_smile: I tried and I have no work experience they didn't call me back

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you really want the job, then sometimes you have to contact them. It'll put you ahead of several people, because it shows you want to work.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was mentioned above, I would also suggest that you try contacting employers directly. Better yet, go in person when you submit an application. Grocery stores are another good place to start.

As you don't have any work experience, I would highly recommend that you start volunteering with an organization. Even though it does not pay, it does give you transferable skills, experience, and references; all of which you can mention on applications or on a resume.

For volunteering, and usually, you don't need any particular experience (and depending on the kind/type of organization). You need to convey however that you can help out, are willing to learn, are available and have the time to commit. I would suggest that you start with doing research on the different organizations in your area, and see if there is one, where you can see yourself volunteering. If you find one, try to make an appointment and sign up. :slight_smile:

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Shit why didn't I do this writes it down ^^

9. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    L'll try volunteering but I live in Long Island lol

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, even though you live on Long Island, there is probably something where you could start volunteering. I can imagine that you might have some financial worries, but if you find that it is too difficult finding a job without experience, then starting to volunteer is your next best bet in order to get into the workforce.

Still keep applying to jobs, and talk with people. Also, ask your friends if they know somebody who is hiring or is looking for somebody. A referral could go along way too. :slight_smile:

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't work at sonic

12. Hyaline

Another option for starting out is to try out the temp agencies that hire for entry level positions. You have an opportunity to impress company people that might be able to hire you full time or part time. Gives you the opportunity to shine above others who might be less motivated to work. My brother does staffing for one of the larger staffing companies in the US. His impression of most of the people he pulls in is that they generally lack motivation. So it sets the bar pretty low to start with. So dress to impress, go the extra mile and best of luck....