1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Drink for the First Time?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Extreme586, May 27, 2014.

1. Extreme586

Extreme586 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So there is this big senior kegger thing on private property this weekend, gates close at 11 and no one leaves. I think there might be a guy I have liked for a long time there. He is friends with the friends I might go because of. The thing is things got awkward between us and for the last few years we haven't really looked at each other let alone talked to one another. I'm afraid since it could be my first time that I will do something stupid, after all it is a party and all about being social. Plus he's going to be there so me going with friends of his (who are much closer to him) even though I have known them for a lot longer might make things weird, like really weird.

He's a wonderful person who's nice and sweet to everyone and gives everyone attention, including me until I got really awkward and disconnected from a lot of people. The friends I am talking about are the close ones who don't judge me because of it. Anyways he's a really great guy but I'm not sure if I should go since he will be there and I'm not sure if I want to lower myself to drinking and drugs and partying, especially since I made it this far in high school without doing any of that.

I'm just not really sure what to do. I really do love him but I know things will get awkward if we are around one another. I never told him how much I cared. I kind of want to go to hang out with my friends and just try alcohol once so I don't feel like I'm always missing out on the fun everyone else is having. On the other hand if I do so I will be bringing up bad memories from my childhood where I swore I would never drink because of what I saw my family members do.

College is closing in fast and there will be even more partying, so I feel like if I wanna have friends and be social I will have to do it at some point. I want the next four years to be fun, not a constant head game where I'm always alone wondering what everyone else is doing. I'm just so confused and feel like no matter which I pick, I'm bound to feel bad about the choice I make. Should I go or should I not?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As Nike said, just do it.

Ps just not alot

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    just try it, but not in excess

5. Julieno

There is nothing wrong with moderate alcohol consumption in specific occasions. Obviously the problem with drinking is when you do it for the sake of getting drunk, think it is compulsory to get drunk to have fun or use it as an (fake) escape for your problems. I would say, go out and drink but not much, since it would be your first time keep it low key and stop whenever you feel slightly tipsy.Seems to me that you are approaching it from an extreme angle due to the bad experiences you mentioned.

On a different note , what you say sounds a bit too judgmental too. If someone asks you why you don't want to drink try not to answer that "you don't want to lower yourself" surely there are nicer ways to say what you want to say without implying that you are better than people who drink (chances are that the person asking drinks occasionally anyway). Also I hope you are not assuming that everyone who parties or drinks (why would partying make you any worse person! :s) takes drugs, 90% of my friends don't

Anyway if you really don't want to drink there is nothing wrong with going without drinking... and don't do drugs and alcohol,may times nothing bad will happen but there are chances of bad things happening, so play safe

6. SkyDiver

Do it. Drinking is so. much. fun.

Just let loose, relax, have fun, and stop once you feel dizzy.

7. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you wanna go then go. Just don't feel like you're obligated to drink if you don't want to. You can bring something along the lines of a soda if you want. If it is actually a kegger not someone bringing a couple cases of beer they should have cups. If you don't want to drink and don't wanna be seen not drinking just pour you beverage in a cup and walk around with it.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For a long time, I was against drinking, largely because I have relatives who are alcoholics and have seen the consequences in their families. But, I later realized my fear was getting into the realm of prudishness, similar to what Julieno described.

I suggest you first try drinking with some close friends before the party. You don't want to make a fool of yourself drinking too much or, worse, getting sick. I'm kind of small, so I can only handle a few drinks. Definitely you don't need to take drugs. Alcohol can at least be detoxified (as long as you don't take too much).

9. ohnobro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You'll be OK if you do, just make sure you know what you can tolerate. Alcohol poisoning is no joke. Take a look at this: What's a standard drink? - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

Limit yourself to a few of those and you're good.

Also, I'd be careful if you have a lot of people in your family who are alcoholics. SO MANY people in my family are alcoholics, so I don't think I'll be drinking anytime soon, or ever for that matter.

Just remember, everything in moderation.

And besides, you could always just go and not drink. If people ask why you're not drinking, just fill up a cup with coke and say it's a coke and something. That's what I do, anyway, and it's worked out for me so far. If they get pushy put water into a beer can.

#9 ohnobro, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  10. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I personally don't consume alcohol as it alters my state of consciousness, but I'll tell you this. Every year without fail several students in my mom's college would pass away the first time they tried liquor. They drank a little, lost their judgement and drank more. And then they kept drinking until they had alcohol poisoning. What you're going to want to do is just have one beer the first time you drink, then build your way up.