1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental illness suspections... Scared, don't wanna tell my mom...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gentlady, May 29, 2014.

1. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll just go straight to what scares me.
    I see and hear things. Things that aren't real. I don't know what of my life is true and what is something I've made up in my own mind. I don't sleep well(and I think that's something that has more to do with my depression). I think I have nothing in common with my friends and family. I am pretty much alone every day because I think every single person on this earth has something against me.
    I don't want to tell either of my parents this(they are divorced). I think my mom especially needs to be happy right now. And if I were to tell her, I want to be sure of it first. I'm just at loss of what to do...

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I would love to say something that could help you.
    But I just can say that I'm here for you!!
    And no. I definitely have nothing against you!!(*hug*)

3. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you my friend (*hug*)(*hug*)

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you say "I see and hear things... things that aren't real" what exactly do you mean? Can you explain?

Do you get any medical/therapy support with the depression, or are you on your own with it?

5. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, one of the mildest examples might be when I saw two clocks on a wall(showing different times, so it wasn't just seeing double), or heard someone call my name, and when I replied with a "what is it?" everyone just said "uhmm... No one said anything"

And I am on my own with the depression(it's not actually diagnosed yet, my psychologist said he is pretty sure it's a mild case of depression).

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you need extra support right now and may even need medication to help you through this. How would you feel about that?

If you are not sleeping well and your body clock is out of routine it can have a detrimental effect on your emotional well being too. Even if you could get some help with normalising your sleeping patterns it could have a positive impact.

7. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, to be quite honest, that sounds a bit scary... I have all my life tried to be normal, but then it turned out like this...

Well, I have taken use of a bedtime routine, going to sleep at about the same time every night, and I use melatonin.

8. Linux Lenny

Seeing and hearing things which are not real , are symptoms of some kind of disorder .maybe you should seek some help .

9. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, you still are normal. Just because you are not coping with things as well as you'd like, it doesn't mean you are not normal, so put that thought out of your mind (*hug*)

It does feel scary reaching out for support and telling other people what's going on, but you've made a bit of a start by telling us what's happening. Now, I know we're a great bunch on EC, but we're no substitute for expert help and support. I'm really not trying to push you into doing something you don't want to do, but things could worsen if you don't get some help soon. Please think about it.

It's good that you are trying to get into a good sleep pattern, just a shame it's not working out as well as you'd like. Again, expert help may be more beneficial and if you can get some good sleep it could really make a difference.

10. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Linco, I'll keep all of what you said in mind and try to see what I can do. Thank you so much for your advice and support :slight_smile:

11. Silver Sparrow

Could you tell your psychologist about what's been going on?

12. Mitchell

I hallucinate. I admit it.

Seeking help is a good thing, before it gets worse.

Hospitals aren't terrible places, but they aren't necessarily the place you'd like to spend a few weeks at when it becomes out of hand.

There is treatment, there is medication.

I suggest you work with your providers, and family, and investigate what is going on.

Do you identify these as "internal", or "external"? When you hear things, do you hear them inside your head, or is it as if someone is sitting next to you talking, someone is out on the street, across the room, etc.? If it is, then that is a sign that it may be a hallucination, vs internal self talk.

I am trusting you're young. Some people will over-react, but there are medications out there to help you.

I myself frequently have issues such as this when I DON'T take my medications...

It's a rough battle, but if you truly think you are mentally ill, seek help. Professional help.

Don't self-diagnose, that seems to happen a lot now, with easy access to information on the Internet. See a professional, let them do an evaluation, and let them treat you.

Symptoms can be managed.

I'm willing to talk in detail about some of my past that involves going through these initial thoughts and steps you're going through, just ask.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a word for what you're experiencing right in the quote there. It doesn't mean you're not normal (whatever that is); it means you have some malfunction that's making life hard for you.

Keeping it a secret means it'll continue to do so. Reaching out to people who love you and getting their help is what you need to do to fix it. You won't make them feel anything other than concerned for your well-being and eager to see your condition improve.

14. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

You mentioned something about sleep deprivation. Sleep Deprivation has a wide range of effects, and it happens to be that hallucinations of both sensory and mental are symptoms of having a sleeping disorder. If not that, then it might be simply your mind being overactive and being too imaginative which some research has concluded can could happen. If you have serious worries about these and if you drive, and may hallucinate on the road then this is something you should check out for sure to get help and maybe get them to stop happening. If there is a positive diagnosis you can be prescribed anti-psychotics (ignore the bad stigma) which effect the brains chemical levels helping you perceive the world how others would c: Hope you got something of help out of this!

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

You probably have schizoaffective disorder like me. You should tell people and go to a doctor. With enough treatment you won't have to see them anymore.

16. Jimmy04093

There is no shame in not being "normal". When I first realized that I wasn't normal it hit me like an emotional ton of bricks. It lasted for a bit, and then I picked up the pieces and moved on as best I could. I could get into whether or not being normal is an illusion but instead I'll amend a quote from Robin Williams' Genie of Aladdin. "Normal people think alike, odd people think for themselves."

17. Ghosting

Stress (and sleep deprivation) CAN do some pretty strange things sometimes but sometimes, the symptoms you described can be suggestive of another issue.

When I was struggling with depression - boy what a crazy roller coaster it was - I became near-sighted (all the stress translated to eye strain), a bit paranoid, and my already hyperstimulated senses went into overdrive.

My psyD suggested that I keep a journal of my day to day symptoms to share with him and it helped us to work through it. Maybe you can do the same? Give you something to share with your doctor and also give you a chance to self-reflect on your experiences?

I'm sorry you're going through this; I know it isn't easy and I wish I had more words of comfort in these trying times. Seeing the doctor specifically about this would probably be a good idea. (&&&)

18. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you been to a doctors regarding this. It's up to you, but to maximise help and support, a clinical assessment would be useful.

I know you want your mum to be happy, but don't you think she would be most happy if she can acknowledge any problems you have and see you are getting the help and support you need.

Of course I don't know your mom and I'm not here to tell you what to do, but in my experience, keeping things like to your self may only prove detrimental to yourself and your mum in the long term when you could have started to take action to sort it now.

I hope you are ok and get on well with whatever decision you make.

Happy days :slight_smile:

19. Emulator

You might want to seek some help, like a therapist or someone close.
    Some of the things you experience sound like schizoaffective disorder like Wuggums mentioned, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have it. You could look up on information about it if you're interested.
    In the meantime, picking up a recreational activity is one way to 'get away' from stress and other problems. Also, telling your mom could help a lot. I don't know what it's like for you and her, but just tell her simply what you experience. I'm sure she wants the best for you.
    Hope you can get everything resolved. (*hug*)