1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to closed minded friend

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Colorful13, May 30, 2014.

1. Colorful13

I was going to post this anonymously but to hell with it. I have this friend who i am too far into the friendship to break it off so i am obligated to visit her. She grew up in beverly hills and always spoiled to the extreme. Because of this she went to a closed minded privet school and she has some issues with the lgbt community. Her brother asked about gay people and I explained that a boy can love a boy and a girl can love a girl. She snapped on me for opening him to this knowledge and said that he might think being gay is okay now because of me. This being said bothered me but I was still closeted and didn't want to say anything, but I am transitioning and look like a boy now and she likes to go through the pics on my phone and occasionally the messages. this doesn't bother me but my girlfriend texts me all the time and she will see those texts. I am not trying to hide my relationship but I want to know how to break this news to her without her having a heart attack.:help:

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What exactly is her problem with it, do you know? Does she think it's creepy/dirty/unnatural/sinful? If you know that, you might find it easier to get her open to the idea of LGBT in general. As for coming out, either telling her straight, or writing a letter would work, I think, and if she really is your friend, homophobic or not, she will stay your friend and learn to accept you.

3. Hyaline

And lock your phone so she can't snoop....

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First things first, I would have a place to go so that if you do tell her, and it goes badly, you have a place to go. As for how to tell your friend, maybe you could send her a message or write a letter and give it to her. That might help soften the blow a bit. It also gives her some time to process things, since she has to read it first.

5. The previous posters have some good advice about how to come out to this friend, but I would like to add this--in case things don't go well.

I know you say you're 'too far into the friendship' to ditch if things go awry, but you aren't. You really never are too far in to cut toxic relationships out of your life. If you come out to her (or even if you decide not to because you're worried/not ready/etc) and things don't go well and she's not very nice about LGBT stuff, then you are not obligated to endure that for the sake of a shared history.