1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any self help books you would recommend

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wolf123, May 30, 2014.

1. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Can anyone recommend any books regarding facing anxiety and depression; in addition to relationship books?

The anxiety has lowered, since I have learned to control it better however I am very negative about relationships. With some people I distance myself quite a bit because I am wondering about their intentions etc. I have had disagreements about whether or not love is even real. Example: I mentioned to someone that love isn't real and then they played the whole, "well you love your family right." I explained to them that its a different kind of love and such which they agreed with and then said nothing besides that, "It is sad I don't believe in it and that not everyone is the same" I have been hurt in the past by someone so I know this is a part of my reasoning behind not believing in that type of love. I also am not completely out to friends and such just some of my family which makes it tough to meet people. Plus, I know I will screw it up by avoiding them and everything so...My thing now is trying to work on this part of myself. Work on the part that I know is in pain etc. If anyone has any books it would be awesome.

Thank you for your response(s)

2. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

3. IG88

I'm sorry that you were hurt in the past, and that I don't know any self help books to recommend. But, you're right that love for your family is different. In ancient Greek, I believe that there were 4 different words for love...one was reserved for family, another for a lover, another for friends etc..

I don't believe in one person is a soul mate for one other person only. Because if one person stole your soul mate, then they just screwed it up for everyone else. Keep looking and be patient for seeking love!

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if they are self help books, but the Chicken Soup for the Soul series are pretty good and help put somethings into perspective. Doesn't hurt to check it out :slight_smile:

5. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you. :slight_smile: I will definitely check it out (*hug*)

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2014 at 08:37 AM ----------

I think my biggest issue is the closer I get or the person gets the more I distance myself. Or I will question why they want to know so much about me-my own insecurities really.

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2014 at 08:38 AM ----------

Thank you. I shall.

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Power of now by Eckhart Tolle

It about how you think, you should buy it.. Its worth work it trust me.