1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get a girlfriend

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Weareinfinite, May 31, 2014.

1. Weareinfinite

Out Status:
    Some people
    All of my friencs seem to be flirting or is in a relationship and I feel really left out. I'm only 14 but I really want a girlfriend. And not just for the title but also I feel like now is the right time and place. How should I get into the dating scene and find someone? By the way there aren't many LGBT people in my school so hat limits my options. Any advice?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At your age, you're not going to have a lot of dating options.
    A few lesbians may come out before high school, but rarely.
    You'll more than likely find that LGBT folks are still hard to come by until you get out of high school. That's just the nature of the beast. People feel more comfortable coming out when they're not with the same people they've been with since kindergarten.

Honestly, you won't like my advice but I think it's very practical.
    Right now, you should just focus on your school and your friends. If you don't have many LGBT folks around you, there's not a lot that you can do at your age to help that, so don't let it suck up your focus.
    When you're older (16-17), it'll probably be a lot easier to meet LGBT folks. You can drive around, you'll have a job, you can go socialize with larger groups of people, etc.

I met my boyfriend playing an online video game when I was 15. Like your school, my high school had five gay guys at most, and I didn't want to mess with dating-at-school drama.

Don't worry about dating. It's hard to do at your age, I know. The desire to be affectionate with someone really comes on at your age, but you have more important things to worry about.

When the time comes, you can look at LGBT groups (Gay-straight-alliances, LGBT meetings, etc.) in your city, and that can really help you get introduced to your local LGBT scene.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least in my own experience, dating is quite hard before cars and jobs are in the equation. It becomes an exercise in having parents or others drop you off/pick you up, and maybe having to ask for money for expenses out too.

Before thinking about the logistics of it though, just talk to people. And if there aren't a lot of *openly* LGBT people, you might have to take the lead there. Let your crushes know you're les, and then if they suspect you might be flirting with them, they'd be right. :wink:

**I had precisely one date when I was 15, and then after that I was single until I was almost 18. No need to rush things; I agree with the above that you should focus on bettering yourself in other ways-- discovering your non-romantic passions and preparing to work hard at them.

#3 Argentwing, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014