1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to overcome creative block?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlsOn, Jun 1, 2014.

1. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I'm having a creative block for a couple of weeks now.
    I'm not able to write or draw anything. I don't have any ideas although my mind is full of thoughts.
    I need to express my thoughts but I can't.
    Does anyone know how to overcome this?

2. Najlen

I like to play a game, where I close my eyes and spin for 10 seconds, and try to make my mind go blank. Then after the ten seconds, I stop, open my eyes, and say the first thing that pops into my head. It sounds kind of silly, but sometimes I get some good ideas that way.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I have that right now. I'm just trying to like draw through it like even though it sucks I need to clear some art crap out.

Get a doodle sheet and let your mind shit all over it. Feels good. Looks crummy, but feels good.

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Thank you guys!!:slight_smile:
    I'll try out your ideas!!!

5. BelleFromHell

I DON'T KNOW. I haven't drawn anything at all this year.
    [​IMG]
    I agree with what everyone else said.

6. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I'm only into music, I'm not sure if my advice belongs here at all, but usually I just try to get away from trying, and during those moments when I feel really bored in school, I randomly come up with ideas, and when I get home, I make them real.

7. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Creativity wise, I'm more into music as well, but this might help. Often if I'm stuck for ideas, I open Logic and input a few random notes here and there. Then I just make little connecty bits and pieces for them. It is a little hard if I'm having a creative block but I generally end up with SOMETHING and once you've started to build on the skeleton, it becomes easier as you start to get closer to a finished thing.

I do a similar thing when I write, I think up a few random scenarios and then try to connect them in some way. And once you've got something that's somewhat substantial you can start to change things around and make it better.

So you could apply that to art too. It does depend on what kind of thing you draw, but if you draw a few random shapes and connect them, you'll have something, and you can change elements of it later. The shapes don't necessarily have to be the subject of the drawing or anything, but they just are something to build on.

I do these things when I don't have a clear picture when I start, of what I want. It helps me because I seem to have blocks quite a lot :/

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have one or two (but not more than that) drinks, if you're of age. My grad school mentor told me to try that if I ever got stuck when I was writing my paper.

9. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know about drawing, but for a writing block, I write.
    Free form, doesn't matter what is says, what it means, no grammar, no attention to spelling just free form writing. That usually works well for me. Another silly one you might fancy is, picking a name out of a phone book, at random, and, using what you know about the address, write a piece about the person behind the name. As I say, silly, but I find it amazingly jump starting.
    Best of luck

10. Sully

Go for a walk. Anywhere. To the shops, through the woods, around your street. The most important thing though is to NOT TAKE A PHONE! Let the world flow I without being distracted by Facebook and all that shit. It's amazing how intense the world feels when not looking at a screen!

11. White Knight

I just wait for it to pass...

To be honest those silent times freaks me out... suddenly everything goes silent in my head. I feel alone.

Try to relax, re-visit your musing occasions... like music, movies, books, games or paintings. Tho I guess you must make emotional memos on things like me for it to work.

Another way I am using is re-checking my old work. As I usually find faults in them, that makes me correct them hence my creative juices flow.

So great advices so far. Thanks for the tips everyone :grin: