1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Job Makes Me Want To Roll Over And Die

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by justjade, Jun 1, 2014.

1. justjade

Literally. There's just so much shit going on. Like today, the new manager my boss hired didn't show up to work, and we couldn't get ahold of him. Well, the manager on duty calls the boss and she just immediately says, "Oh, he thinks he's off today." Um, OK, A) how the hell do you know that, and B) why the hell didn't you say anything to him about it? She's lying to cover his ass. She has to be. Seriously, there's no excuse for him not being there.

I was wanting to get promoted, but I don't care anymore. I don't think I'd want to stick around long enough to see if I will. It's not worth it. Our boss is such a fucking bitch and a lying sack of shit that everyone is looking for other jobs. The worst part? The higher chain of command seriously doesn't care. Like, if someone goes to the district manager and says, "Hey, something's wrong with the way the store's being run," she immediately says, "Well, then you need to talk to her about it." What the hell are we supposed to do? She won't listen to us! We've tried.

I lied. That's not the worst part. The even worse worst part is that if anyone goes to the higher-ups to report any foul play, they either get their hours seriously cut down, or they get fired. Seriously, what the hell! It's like there's some kind of conspiracy between my boss and the district manager. If you try to talk to either of them about anything, they send you to the other one. Something's not right. Hell, this whole situation isn't right. I don't even know what the hell to do.

As for me finding another job, I don't do well adapting to new social situations, and I'd have to re-learn everything and possibly risk working fewer hours than I do at my current job. I'm just panicking right now. It doesn't help that I can't get my medication for anxiety/depression until tomorrow because the pharmacy I go to didn't have it in stock.

Anyway, thoughts? :help:

2. Hyaline

Some job just suck. Plain and simple. I am guessing that this is likely retail. Which seems to be worse than most bad jobs. That environment doesn't breed loyalty. So they expect you to bail when things get rough. You probably are replaceable unfortunately, so that makes them less likely to listen to you.

If you want to get out of that situation, look for something in a more corporate setting. Even if it is shuffling papers or answering phones. While not a for sure that things will be better, it'll give you a taste of how a boring office job will be. Trust me though when I say this, it has its own share of crap.

The trick is finding a place where even if the job sucks, the people you work with make it easier to come in and do it every day... In the long run, you'll be happier knowing you have friends to look forward to.

Hang in there... It is just part of the whole job market thing. If you do decide to bail, find something else first. Give you two week notice and then head out. Do your best not to burn bridges. I've had people from my childhood that I've run into much later in life by circumstance. So you never know when that might happen.

3. justjade

It's actually fast food. It's probably the worst of bad jobs, if I had to guess. I have worked an office job before, but I couldn't do it because it involved a lot of talking to people, which is hard for me because of my social anxiety. I dunno. Everything is just scary. I've been at this job for about 5 years. It feels hopeless. My husband and I talked about moving to a more urban area with more jobs, but no actual plans have been made. I want to just hold out until we move, but I don't even know if that's ever going to happen. I'm really good friends with some of the people that I work with, but that doesn't seem to be enough. :tears:

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jade here's a word of advice QUIT THAT MOTHER FUCKING JOB! GET THE HELL AWAY FROM YOUR DUMB ASS BOSS AND ALL THAT OTHER BULL SHIT! WALK IN THERE AND SAY I QUIT THEN GO UP TO YOUR BOSS AND SAY BYE BITCH :smilewave u deserve better than that run down shit whole it's a living hell now go out to the backyard with your husband pour yourself a nice glass of winey wine and smoke a cigar and just look at the stars with your husband and say yaaaa.

5. Hyaline

DO NOT DO THAT.... I know it'll feel good in the short term, but if you can't use your previous employer as a reference, you'll be going in at 25 with no work experience.. That will only harm you. I know...I know.. it'll feel better, but in the short term and possibly in the long term don't burn those bridges... 5 years of work experience is nothing to piss away.

Fast food is designed to be a starter job. And it sounds like you are ready to move past it. You likely need to find a job doing data entry or something where you interaction doesn't deal with the public. How you work in fast food is beyond me, I hate dealing with people. Stocking shelves at a local big box store or grocery store afterhours is an option too.

I know the social anxiety bit is tough, but finding yourself a career where you can thrive and be happy is something each of us has to try to do at some point. One thing lots of people get stuck doing a job they hate for no other reason than they are too scared to leave.

hang in there, go check out your options locally first. Worse comes to worse, try out the temp agencies and cut back your hours at your existing job to make time for checking other opportunities out...

6. justjade

I'll do that last part, but not the rest. :lol: As much as I'd like to, I can't just quit. Of course, problem is, too, that when I leave, there will probably a parade of people following behind me. So I've got that going for me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2014 at 04:28 PM ----------

I thought about working a graveyard shift somewhere. That would be nice. Or just somewhere where I don't see people but once in a rare while other than maybe my coworkers. I honestly don't know how I'm still in fast food either.

7. Hyaline

Yeah, I couldn't do fast food even when I was first starting out. I ended up as an orderly at a hospital emptying bedpans instead... IMO, it was better.. :slight_smile:

Stocking shelves is pretty easy to do, but hard work. Most of the time it is solo or maybe with a very small group. Graveyard also gets you away from most people as well... I work a modified 2nd shift to help with traffic. But the people thing is a nice side effect. :slight_smile: