1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I wasting my life ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Beware Of You, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So I have just turned 24, I have 2 degrees and am working on my PhD at the moment, I am gay I have a boyfriend and I also managed to get a pilot's license.

However I don't know why but I just feel like I am wasting my life, I never learnt another language properly, I hate change (I mean the opportinity came up for a free placement in Europe with my PhD and I turned it down) and I won't take any risk even if it could be worth it in the end. I have no real hobbies, I find it hard to make friends and I am lonely most of the time.

Sigh

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds more like you feel you're not doing the things you want to do, versus the things you feel you have to/should do.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, it soulds to me like severe perfectionism. You're already more accomplished at 24 than many people are in their entire lives, and yet you feel like you haven't done enough. So there's some deep-seated shame somewhere... that you don't feel you're worthy of being loved.

I'd suggest checking out Brené Brown's TED talks "The Power of Vulnerability" and "The Price of Invulnerability" on Youtube. If her work connects with you, then check out the book "The Gifts of Imperfection". Those won't solve your problem directly, but they will help you begin to understand the root causes so you cna begin to work on them.

4. wanderinggirl

I'm actually stuck in a similar mental spiral; I'm getting my PhD and have accomplished a lot thus far, but still I have days where I feel completely alone. I have found that the only cure for this feeling is doing the stuff I love, stepping away from work for a moment. Download Duolingo if you want to start learning a language; start doing the things you want to be doing. Carve out a vacation with your boyfriend. Start exploring your neighborhood with him.

My friend told me a story about his friend who graduated from Harvard and felt completely boring. He decided, having had no hiking experience, to do the entire Appalachian Trail. He met amazing people, he spent time on his own, he learned to be patient. He became an interesting person, motivated by the fact that he felt unaccomplished. Sometimes feeling boring can motivate a person to do some amazing things. You don't need to do something this grandiose to change your life; I'm just bringing this up as an example of a person who also felt like he wasn't going anywhere and how he dealt with it.

5. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm almost your age, just in my second year of my first degree, want to get a pilot's licence and you think you are wasting your life. Trust me, if there's anything you are not doing is wasting your life. In my younger years i also strived for perfection until i hit an extreme low. That's when i learnt that happiness trumps perfection. Are you happy with yourself.....most of the time? Changing your life isn't an easy thing and it doesn't have to be instantaneous. Give yourself time. Start out slow. Go out a little bit more, even if it's just one more day than your usual, or in a fortnight. Slowly introduce yourself to things that make you less comfortable (they don't have to be big things). Also talk to your boyfriend so he can help you through it all.

6. mangotree

I'm a fair bit older than you, but recently I've discovered what it's like to be self accepting, self loving, happy and content. It's a bit weird though - which I will try to explain.

Being that self acceptance / self love / happiness / contentment are very new and unfamiliar feelings, and for most of my adult life I've gotten very used to the feeling of there being 'something missing', I believe that old mental habits are trying to create problems that aren't really there and giving me "itchy feet".
    For instance, it's crossed my mind a few times to throw in my job (which I love), leave my family and friends (who I love) and move to Sydney for no particular reason other than having that 'itchy feet' feeling.

It might not be the same for you, but just something to consider.
    Maybe your life is great, but you're not used to accepting greatness.

Peace be with you.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah I'm sure in 5 years you'll have everything u want and u and your bf will get married if u want to and then you'll be ok so you're fine.

8. pitabread514

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I find your thoughts similar to a couple other young phd students I know of. Devouting so much of your time to the classroom - researching, seems like it's isolating, but it will have it's rewards when it's all said and done with. As for another language, that's a personal decision. For me, traveling was important, so I did that in my late teens and early 20s. Now I just turned 30 and I am asking myself: am I wasting my life? By living in a small city, taking a good job, but not being able to always be who I am (living in the closet...) I think you need a balance in your life, so perhaps do some international travel. For you, being in Europe, you have great access to much of the world (and at good prices too!)

9. Hyaline

And I second this and I am a fair bit older than my buddy MangoTree so I have a bit to add. Old age does this..now sit down and hush while the old guy is talkin'...

For some of us, that "something missing" feeling never goes away. but rather it changes over time. For me, I wish I had gone to College which would have been to San Francisco State during the middle of the dot com craze here in the states. My life would have been completely different had I done that instead of staying home and working.

But here is the thing with having regrets. You can't let the "what ifs" kill you... They can very easily squash your happiness. I take the mass accumulation of my work thus far weigh it against what I have accomplished and use that as my measure. And you know what, I worked really hard to get where I am. And for that it is easier to let the regrets go later in life. You are still at that point where you are making those choices.

That old adage of "The older you get the less you know"... Well, its a bit incomplete. In truth, the older you get the more you know that you don't know, you know? :slight_smile: And in learning that there are huge gaps in things you will never learn due to lack of time/interest/opportunity.

Wow, I sound a bit like a defeatist.. But I think it is more about being a realist. Start with yourself. If you find yourself frustrated, look at the laundry list of things you are working on. Odds are, you have too many things. That and every time you finish something, you celebrate. Even if its just a cold beverage.. Reward yourself for your hard work and accomplishments. Those small rewards will help you feel satisfied with your accomplishments.

10. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like graduation syndrome.