1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to concentrate

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sigrid, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Sigrid

I'm not really sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but ok.

I have major concentration issues. It's become more and more noticeable (at least for me) during the last few years, as I've gained more and more responsibility for my own learning, and lately it has become a big problem for me.

I am now in 11th grade, and deadlines are my worst enemy. This year in English class, for example, I've only been able to hand in about half of my assignments. And it's not because I don't try, because I really, really do. It's just that whenever I try to sit down and get some work done it takes about 9.5 seconds for my concentration to dissipate. This has several possible outcomes: 1) I procrastinate 2) I decide to do it later 3) I try really hard to get my shit together and end up staring at the five sentences I've actually managed to write for two hours 4) I give up. As you can see none of the above result in a finished essay.

As a bonus I am really absent-minded and forgetful, so if I by some miracle actually remember that I have homework then you can be sure that I've forgotten my books at school.

I've started seeing a psychologist about this, but we've only had one meeting and that was almost a month ago. We did, however, reach the conclusion that I probably have ADHD/ADD. This doesn't really help me much though. I still need to get good grades so I can have the education/job I want (whatever that might be).

Now that I've started on my last three years of school my grades will actually affect my whole future, and this is really stressing me out. The thing is that I'm actually quite intelligent, and it's incredibly frustrating to know that I have the potential to get really good grades, without being able to actually get them. To top it all, my growing collection of unfinished hand-ins is making me feel very self-concious, because I just know that people think I'm lazy and don't give a shit about school.

Whoopsie, sorry for the wall of text. I'm trying to finish an English assignment (due tomorrow, might I add) and it's making me incredibly talkative. Anyway, I guess I was just hoping you guys might have some useful advice.

2. Sigrid

Ugh. I hate posting in my own threads just to make people notice them, but I could really use some advice right now.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Sigrid,

I know exactly what you are going through. I have had confirmed ADD (not ADHD) since I was 47 (this is when I noticed that my daughter has the same profile).

There are good non-drug strategies to deal with this. You did the right thing by seeing someone. I would strongly recommend that you undergo the full battery of ADD-specific tests to confirm the diagnosis, after that, there may be options you need to discuss with your health care provider.

You are lucky that you have caught this early, I wish I had, I truly think my life would have been different...

4. Sigrid

Thanks for the advice c:

I'm feeling really conflicted about the whole diagnosis business, though. On the one hand it would be very reassuring to know that it's not my fault that I am this way, and I'm sure it would open up some opportunities in relation to school (maybe I could get some of my bad marks removed, or get prolonged time limits or something), but on the other hand, couldn't a diagnosis have negative consequences too? My mum says she doesn't care whether I have a diagnosis or not, because if I don't get stuff done it's still my own fault. Meaning she'd still scold me just as much if I forget to do stuff or have trouble getting it done. It's actually kind of funny how she's 100% okay with my sexuality, but she's so inconsiderate about this. She doesn't even believe ADD is a real disorder...
    Anyway, I'm worried that an official diagnosis might rule out some opportunities for me later in life. And there's some practical stuff too, like would it for example make insurances more expensive for me?

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think a diagnosis will be an issue in any future career. This is not something you need to divulge. On the other hand, if the ADD is not tamed somehow, I can guarantee that there is a direct correlation with not doing so well at either school or work. I can only tell you that, career-wise, it has helped me considerably. I don't know about where you live, but insurance is not an issue for me.

A proper diagnosis, done by a skilled psychologist is definitely the proper way to go. Yes, it is important to take responsibility and be accountable for getting things done, but it is extremely difficult to do just that when your field of perception is so wide.

Notice I have avoided the terms "condition" or "illness". I happen to think that ADD is a gift in many ways, but man is it hard to concentrate when I need to focus on a task! Alternatively, when something turns me on, I get hyper-focused, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the circumstances.

6. Notsoshure

Wow this is just, exactly how i have it... o.o

I cant for the love of god manage to concentrate. It is easy i am smart and i could have gotten straight As if i wanted to, but i just cant work. I cant concentrate, it doesnt seem to get to me until 21:00 the day before the deadline.

In the end i stopped caring and everything went downhill. I was going to hand in a huge assignment i hadn`t worked on and i had a breakdown the night before becasue i was panicking.

I knew it was a problem, but honestly why would it? Pfft i just had to be lazy cuz who can`t hand in assignments and do stuff, right?

Well i told my parents coz they found me crying and i didnt have to go to schoo, the next day. I went to the doctor and talked and explained, i also went to the school and talked with my teatcher.

After that i could stop doing homework and only had a few tasks for me to focus on. It became so much better. I am going to go to a theraphist soon and talk and figure out stuff. Not shure if they will be able to sort everything out because i have so many issues. Social anxiety, depression and so goes the list.

I am happy people actually listened to me though, even if i have no idea why i cant seem to get anything done.

Today i`ve been working on an oral exam script for tomorrow, but look here i am on EC.
    To be fair i`m only taking a break, but i`m not completely done yet.

I`m aslo forgetfull and stuff. I really hope you get an answer, and it sucks that your mom doesnt treat this like a real thing. :/

(sorry for mess, i`m kinda in a hurry ^^; )

7. Sigrid

Notsoshure, I can really relate to what you're saying. I've had several breakdowns over the last few years, the biggest one a year and a half ago while preparing for an oral exam. I tried so hard to prepare, but I ended up crying in front of my teacher because I wasn't prepared at all. I gave him a letter I'd written that explained my problems, though, and he was very understanding.
    Thank you for being so reassuring. Really, you've made me feel a lot better about this. Like I mentioned earlier I'm already seeing a psychologist. I am in fact seeing her again on Friday. She said that if I decide to go through the whole process of getting a diagnosis we'll have a meeting where we talk about the consequences (both positive and negative) first. So I suppose it's nothing I have to worry about yet, either way.

I know what you mean about being hyper-focused. When I'm drawing or reading it's almost impossible for people to get a response from me because I'm so immersed in what I'm doing. Which, like you said, can be both positive and negative...

8. Notsoshure

I felt like this today. I just tried so hard, but still i just couldnt do anything you know? I felt hopeless. I managed to plan everything, but i couldn`t start writing. I just sat there doing nothing for hours making excuses for myself.
    When i finally managed to start working i worked a tiny bit, stopped, tiny bit more, and when half of it was done i just kinda had a minor breakdown and i just had no idea how to make this work. I managed to kinda drag myself up though, i ry to do my best, because when the manus and the powerpoint is done it is just so much easier.

9. Sigrid

I know the feeling all too well. I really hope you manage to finish your presentation, it's so awful to come to school and not feel like you are ready at all. I'm sure you'll do okay, though. I wish you the best of luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you! C:

10. Notsoshure

Ah thank you, i feel like i am going to throw up. My presentation is short, i feel like i have nothing to show, and just The whole situation makes me too nervous. :s

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. Sigrid

Huh. That sounds a lot like what I have been going through...
    Anyway, here's an update: Last time I saw my psychologist she tested my general intelligence to see if there was anything unusual. Aaand the bottom line is that intelligence-wise I'm in at least the top 5% of Norwegian 16-year-olds. She also said that when it comes to how fast I processed the tasks and questions that she gave me, I'm even higher than that. Maybe in the top 2-3% or so. So there's that.
    Now we also have to consider the possibility of me having trouble concentrating simply because so far all my classes have been too slow and too easy for me. My psychologist compared it to putting a twelve-year-old in 1st grade - how long do you think he'd be able to pay attention? The example is a bit extreme, but you get the general idea.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it makes you feel any better I think I might have OCD

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You remind me of myself, at least with the results of your testing. I, too, was told I was advanced, and that was partially why I had behavioral problems.

They were partially right about that, but not in the way they were thinking.

I suppose you could ask to be placed into a more advanced class, if that option is available. Though, if you're like me, you'll still find a reason to "not pay attention" if something 'isn't interesting', or doesn't pertain to your interests. It's probably going to come down to one of three things...

You get medicated, and hope that helps.

You force yourself to pay attention, and pray that helps.

You get a more challenging curriculum, and believe that helps.

15. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first thing to do is try not to worry or let it get you down. Although I don't often like to talk about this much, I used to be plagued by concentration problems when I was younger (and still am to a certain degree). Of course back when I was a kid things like ADD and Autism etc, where not heard off and I had no support.

I found that there are various mental excercises that can help concentration. Like any part of your body, your brain and mind need to be excercises to become better working. For some of us, it takes a lot of efforts but if the will is there, it can be done.

For example, when I was a kid, I always drifted off into daydream and never did my work. All my teachers thought I was really thick and because I couldn't concentrate, I wouldn't amount to much. Now I have 2 degrees in physics and radiography.

So as I said, don't worry about it. There is hope, just try and get the support you can, and if you work hard at it, hopefully you will get what you want. If, you really aren't making progress, then it is worth seeking professional help if it's available.

Hope that helps a little,

Happy days :slight_smile:

16. birdking

oh wow this is basically the same thing I have! i ace tests and stuff but I can't turn paperwork in for some reason

you could be ADHD/ADD. I suggest you get a professional diagnosis and try a couple of treatment options because maybe that will help you.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many ADDers also score high on intelligence tests, I am way up there for verbal and spatial, but it's such a pain to get anything done, without some help.

18. Sigrid

Haha, wow, I suddenly got a lot of responses on this
    No, that doesn't really make me feel better... I hope you get the help and support that you need :slight_smile:

That sounds a bit pessimistic, though... I like to believe that there's at least a chance that I'll overcome these issues.

What kind of exercises did/do you use? If they worked for you then I suppose it's worth a shot.

EXCACTLY. I can get pretty good grades on pretty much any test without preparing at all, but that doesn't help me much when when I have to get my homework done... Do you have a diagnosis? If so, have you found any treatment that works for you?

It's quite frustrating, isn't it? And now that I know how much potential I have I'm feeling even more motivated to figure this out.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would look further into the potential of ADD/ADHD - seek a professional consultation for it, and they will be able to give you a more definitive opinion on the matter, or perhaps a diagnosis.

If you do actually have it, chances are the drugs prescribed will help quite a bit.

20. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start off with something simple and fun. Try a few number and word games. Don't overdo it and try to go for too long. Just 5 mins at first. Also, do a little bit of reading. Just something you find interesting (you are more likely to keep with it that way) and again start with short time intervals. Writing also can help. Perhaps short journal entries each day. This helps your recollection and concentration.

As time goes by, you can try increasing the amount of time you do it for. Take small steps and only increase in small increments. The key is determination and patience. It's all about exercising you mind.

Meditation techniques can also help, although you need proper guidance to do that effectively in my opinion.

I'm not saying this is guaranteed to work as different things work for different people. But I found that by exercising my mind a little but often over time, I slowly began to increase my concentration span.

Hope that helps a little.

Happy days :slight_smile: