1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm scared that my sexual preferences could be deemed as racist!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by govpol, Jun 3, 2014.

1. govpol

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I apologise if my thread sounds very provocative, but these are my genuine feelings. I am not all racist. I view people beyond the prism of skin colour, which I believe has been accentuated by my bi-racial background. However, this has not really prevented me from forming what some may deem "politically incorrect" preferences in partners.

I'm 18, and half Asian (primarily Chinese) and half white (Italian and Jewish), a "hapa". My overwhelming preference for women is East Asian women. I don't know why but I just seem to gravitate more towards them, and the feeling seems to be mutual. A lot of Asians say they like my really pale skin and height, in addition to my obviously Eurasian looks. I've been told that I do look like a perfect blend of my racial components- tall, pale, sharpish nose, and somewhat "Asian eyes".
    But, I find it very hard to form an emotional rapport with them. Beyond the superficial, I find it difficult to actually "like" them, without knowing them for continuous periods of time. I guess the culture clash thing doesn't help- I'm very westernised, culturally, although I am becoming increasingly interested in Asian cultures.

However, I literally can't get attracted or aroused by any other ethnicity. Though I can get emotionally attached more easily with a non-asian woman. This is, indeed, a core component of a relationship, but I fear not being physically attracted to them would hinder any chances of having said relationship.

Regarding men, I am far more open. I seem to be far less superficial, with regards to race. I find physical attraction far easier, and I take into account personality a lot more. I guess I must be doing so subconsciously.

I am scared that my preferences may hurt my chances of having a viable relationship. I feel embarrassed. What can I do to help resolve this issues? I know this sounds very petty.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you like is what you like. Some people claim that individuals attracted to a particular race or ethnic background are racist. Personally, I don't buy it. Does it limit your choices? Sure. But if you don't mind that limitation... I personally don't see any issue with it.

3. Hyaline

I am with Chip on this. You like what you like.. We each have our own preferences. I only really am attracted to white guys. But I have plenty of friends that aren't white.

You and I both are limiting our possibilities for sure, but if you aren't attracted, the possibilities never existed with at least some people.... I mean, I am gay, so therefore the ladies are not on my list... that limits my chances by at least half the population of the world.. :slight_smile:

4. Richie.

Yup I agree preference is your prerogative no discrimination there

5. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    If you dont date certain race group because you arent sexually attracted to them, that is ok.

The problem only is when you dont date that group because some prejudice you have.