1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rejecting gifts

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hiems, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Hiems

My sister asked for my transcript, so I showed it to her without any qualms because my grades are high.

She told her husband (my bro-in-law) about it. Then she said that he would buy me a new laptop since I did so well in school.

When she told me this, I rejected the offer. I said no thanks and that I didn't need a new one.

It feels weird to receive a gift from him. I already have a job working at her nail salon, so the salary is enough of a reward. I don't want more. I didn't mention any of this to her btw.

My mom told me that rejecting a gift is considered rude. I can see what she means, but I feel like I would only accept gifts for my birthday or for Christmas... days that warrant it. Me having high grades means nothing.

Regardless of how I feel, should I accept the laptop anyway?

#1 Hiems, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thats a tough thing to answer atleast for me, do you tend to be a people pleaser?

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well if you don't need a laptop just be straight with them.

And ask for something else :lol:

Seriously though, if you don't need already have one, they should accept your decline.

4. Hyaline

I would say thank you and ask that they hold off for a special occasion (like xmas or bday..) If it feels right tell them you really appreciate it, but it feels weird to accept it.

If they insist, graciously accept the gift. Thanking them for the generosity....

5. Hiems

@ Peacemaker: I guess so. I try my best not to inconvenience people as much as possible. Outside of X-mas, birthdays, etc. I feel guilty for receiving gifts... my first thought is "I don't deserve this" even though most people would think otherwise.

@ Z3ni: Lol noo I don't want something else. Maybe not being straight with them came across as "oh a laptop's not good enough? perhaps he wants something more." That would exacerbate the situation.

@ Hyaline: Idk if I want to tell them straight up that it feels weird because that's what my mom told me was rude.

I should mention that my sister is known to get emotionally frustrated when things don't go her way. Consequently, a lot of drama surrounds her. Me not accepting the gift would add to it. So I probably will end up accepting it...

Thanks for the advice guys :slight_smile:

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Accept it i would

7. photoguy93

Okay, here's what I think would work.

You could say something like "oh, gosh, you don't have to do that! I already have a functioning computer - don't waste your money on that!"

What's rude is if you turn down something they've already purchased, or try and give you. If they went out, bought the computer, and then gave it to you, I'd say that you need to keep it, unless you literally just went out and bought one a week ago.

I don't want people to feel like they need to buy stuff for me - but often, you can't tell people no.

8. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rejecting gifts isn't rude. If the gift comes with strings rejecting it sends the signal that you also reject the strings. But if there are no strings rejection simply means you don't want or need the gift.