1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get over a stupid dream?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Opheliac, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So three days ago I had this really disturbing sick dream where I was forced to work as a prostitute, and all these huge men kept coming out of nowhere and... you get the idea. There was also this huge glass orb in one of my rooms which was full of water fountains and pools and I had to swim around in them to entertain all these men, one by one. I had three enormous ornate rooms, the big glass orb and that was it. I didn't seem to own any clothes and all these men kept coming in in suits. I didn't recognise any of them except one, who looked like that little Spanish speaking guy from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs :/

Anyway, this dream has disturbed me terribly. I've had nightmares before, a couple of years ago I had them really badly and nearly every day, then somehow they just went away. But NONE of them ever upset me like this one did. I can't stop thinking about it and how sick it made me feel. It seems to creep into my mind no matter what I'm doing and I can't focus on things.

How do I get over this? I've told myself countless times that it's just a dream and can never happen but I still feel really creeped out about it. Usually if I have a bad dream I talk to my best friend about it but he recently moved away to go to college and I don't want to bother him with silly things... he'll be busy now. This dream is just stopping me from concentrating on anything. I just don't know how to get it out of my mind. Can anyone please suggest anything?

2. Najlen

That sounds really scary.:icon_eek: I don't know if this will work for you, but I have also had dreams I wanted to forget. I sometimes sing along with music until all I can think of is the music, and when I stop, its gone. If you draw, then drawing a scene from your dream and ripping it up could be cathartic. I don't know how much this will help, but I'm sorry.(*hug*)

3. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I usually listen to music if I have a bad dream but it didn't help this time :/ I'll try the drawing thing though. It might help actually. Thanks for the advice and the hug.

4. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (*hug*) aw that sounds awful! I've had a few pretty bad dreams, including one where I died, but not in the waking up at point of death kind of way, in the i was dead on the ground for a while way.

It shook me up and made me feel really really off and unwell for a week or so, and still freaks me out when I think about it sometimes. I agree that drawing and tearing sound helpful. But sometimes, you just need time for it to fade.

When something is particularly vivid or has strong emotions (like fear etc) it takes longer for it to fade and forget, but it will.

You could even try to make new associations, like whenever it pops into your head, force yourself to think about something silly or stupid? create a "ridiculous" or "funny" association so you don't feel so bad if it does invade your thoughts, and you immediately think of the funny thing instead. Might not work, but it's an idea.

Hope you feel better soon (*hug*)

5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It just seems to be in my mind no matter what I do :/

6. neutron

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    why does it keep appearing in your mind? are there images that seems very unacceptable to you?

7. poetofdarkness

maybe try meditating with candles and burning insense, and whilst meditating think about the most disturbing bits of the dream, then visualise those images turning into pebbles and being dropped into a stream and floating away until all you can see and hear is the soothing water of the stream