1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with religion and homophobic grandparents... HELP

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gaynerd64, Jun 13, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

I personally don't like religion. I used to attend church but stopped because I realized I was gay and didn't enjoy being told I was going to burn in Hell. And since my parents aren't religious and encouraged me to stop (For different reasons) would be the end of it... But then my grandparents stepped in. They are constantly forcing me into church events and constantly trying to make me feel guilty. I understand their views, but it annoys me. I tried to get them to stop but ended up getting the silent treatment for the next day. And they are completely homophobic because of Christianity... What the hell should I do?

2. Hyaline

If your parents aren't forcing you to go, you are their child, not your grandparents. I have very different religious views that most people so I find that having a differing religious preface than the masses causes some people to "worry" or "pray for your soul". For me, the worry/praying they do is their way of showing my love and that they care. I always remember to say thank you. This is simply a matter of respect. People show love in different ways. Sharing their religious devotion is one way some people do this.

If you feel guilty, it is because you let them make you feel guilty. If you don't feel strongly about their religion, then explore other paths. If your grandparents insist, ask your parents to intervene on your behalf. Or simply say "no.." If you still feel the need to placate them, then go once in a while. Even if you don't believe, you can still go. If you don't believe in the things that the people at your place of worship do, then it is no different than a visit to some other fancy building with a bunch of dressed up people.

One word of caution, keeping in mind that I am not a Christian but was raised as one. (I have a very different path now.) Abandoning your faith "because you are gay", can be a regrettable thing to do. There are plenty of Christian houses of worship that will gladly accept you for who you are. They'll celebrate your faith and your life with you. Seek out these places if you feel the need/calling. Otherwise, take your Sunday back and sleep in, have brunch and enjoy ogling the boys.