1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandparents with transsexual grandson *Please help*

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Colorful13, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Colorful13

Okay, so, to start off, Iv'e had a little trouble in the past with coming out to my grand parents. My grandfather was more accepting than my grandmother though. She says that she's okay with it though she subconsciously acts like she cant have the rest of the family know. I grew up in the back woods of ohio where homosexuality is taboo. I am compleatly open and honest with my sexuality and gender identity but I am afraid that she will try to hide me away. What do I do about her and her, uh, opinion about my identity?

Also she likes to make jokes like, "I bought you a pretty ruffly dress, do you want to try in on now?" And that keeps going on. What do I do to also stop this? Sorry about all the questions, I am more of a lead by step by step type of guy.:confused: :rolle:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay backwoods of Ohio.. I live in a smaller city in Ohio, and we still have a lot of that attitude here.

I can totally relate to this.. I am having somewhat of an issue with my grandmother right now. My grandfather is more accepting, but he just does not know how to handle me being trans* (he just says accidental offensive things).

My grandma, on the other hand, loves to lecture me about how I am ruining my life and how I'll regret taking hormones. She even said "You'll take hormones after I die right?"

I have made it clear to her that this is who I am, and I am not changing just because she does not like it. Anytime she starts with her "female" rants, I tell her to stop (nicely). You cannot change her opinion of you and your transition, but you can make her be respectful towards you. Hopefully with time, as she sees you becoming happier with yourself, she'll realize that you are who you are.

3. Colorful13

"Just says accidental offensive things" TOTALY. My grandmother does this all the time. Thanks BradThe Cat.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, compared to my grandma that takes hits at me on purpose, it is a lot better. He does try, but in my case 21 years of being seen as female is not undone overnight. Good luck with everything :slight_smile:

5. Sarah257

The only thing I can think of is just to be strong and not let her. If she tries to hide you away, or make some sort of comment, just remind her that she said she's okay with it. That will likely either reign in her behavior or spark a conversation between the two of you that may lead to better understanding of some sort. Other than that... I don't know... a shock collar with remote maybe? jk :lol: