1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT college group?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gleeko0, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always hear about those groups so I did a little research about those in my country, and it seems they do exist, but only in some bigger universities. My university has roughly 5,500 students, at almost full campus capacity, well, yes its small but not thaaaaaat small. If 1% happen to be LGBT, that would be 55, and I think that number is actually much higher lol.

Considering my college is traditional and is the oldest on my region, I think an LGBT group could be pretty plausible. But how to start?

Reading about the other LGBT group across Brazilian universities, it seems most of them started up with secret facebook groups. But wouldn't that imply a too personal connection to it? Creating a "black list" for homophobic extremists ? Do you think it could be safe as an invite-only secret group or even that wouldn't be enough?

I have trustworthy gay friends that I could propose the idea to, and if it ever becomes reality, they would surely help it grow!

TL;DR I want to create an LGBT group for my college, starting with secret facebook grouping. What do you guys think? What are the major implications of doing something such as this? Would it do more bad than good?

2. Devin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm trying to create a group too on my Florida campus. It'll be more personal, we'll meet once a week for like a 1-2 hr. meeting.

Why do you want it on a FB group? Why not an actual place on campus?

3. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could easily use one room for meetings, but for that we would need the people, so I was thinking about starting it as an FB group