1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Distance

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Connor22, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Connor22

Hi everybody,

so I need a itty bitty bit of advice...

(le context) my boyfriend and I have been together about a year, and I'm moving to uni in Scotland (I'm from Ireland) but my boyfriend is starting a new school here in Ireland so that means long distance... w00t...

so here's my questions/things I need a bit of help with:

1. Anxiety/jealousy; We've been trying to simulate what it's going to be like when I move away with him hanging out with people where he's going to be living and me... staying at home... which is no fun, the worst part of it is the fact that I keep freaking out over stuff, I don't hear from him, he's doing something etc I get freaked out and have anxiety attacks, which is not good and I know that, so I've been trying purposefully to get him to do things that push me like that and see if I can get over it, it just doesn't seem to be working, I'm still freaking out over things and I don't want to be like that so my question is does anyone have any ideas of how to, I dunno, fix this? get myself to calm down and not freak out so much when he's away with friends or what have you.

2. Interesting date ideas; I've been doing research on this and one tihng I've been saying a lot of is "have interesting dates to make them more special" or similar stuff. Has anyone any ideas? I've got a few, just curious if anyone has any others haha

Thank you ^.^

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As for your second question, are you talking about long-distance dates, i.e., ways to spend time together once you're in Scotland?

As far as your first, the main thing I would say for now is not to borrow trouble. It sounds like you're forcing the situation to be a stressful one ("I've been trying purposefully to get him to do things that push me like that"). While I understand the desire to prepare yourself for bad possibilities, maybe they'll happen, and maybe they won't.

Bottom line, assuming you will have the ability to continue seeing each other on at least a semi-regular basis (not sure how much it will cost to visit while away, but my experience traveling around the Isles is that it's not too bad), not much has to change. Set aside time to spend with each other and stick to it, keep yourselves involved in each other's lives, and the distance can be dealt with. You have a pretty solid foundation if you've been together for a year, so keep doing what you've been doing as much as possible.