1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I cut my hair short (girl)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kay14, Jun 17, 2014.

1. kay14

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm 17 years old and female.

I have been questioning my gender and sexual orientation and I really want to be a TomBoy again for a while and wear boy clothes and stuff and see how I feel. I want to cut my hair like Justin Biebers. I know that if I do it I will be mistaken for a boy no doubt. I just don't want to regret it. I'm going to be raising money for charity for it and giving my hair to charity also.

Do you think cutting my hair like this will help me figure out my gender more? If regret it do you think It can be fixed with a wig? What do you think? I'm scared of what people will think but I really want to do it. Do you think life is too short for me to care about what others think? Or do you think it's a dumb idea to cut all my hair off just to see if I like being a boy?

Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It'll always grow back if you don't like it, and you can wear a hat in the mean time (I probably wouldn't recommend a wig because I doubt you can get anything realistic looking for cheap).

I think you should go for it. Don't worry about what other people will think. There might be questions and comments at first, but ultimately most people don't actually care that much about what you do with your hair. They'll be interested when you first get it cut, but they'll get over it.

If you do end up being mistaken for a boy at times, and you like it (not just that you think it's fun, but that you feel more comfortable being seen as a boy), that could give you some insight into who you are. And what's the worst that can happen? If you don't like it, it'll grow back, and at least you will have donated your hair to the charity so something good will come out of it :slight_smile:

3. birdking

Lots of girls have short hair nowadays! I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd say if you want to do it, go ahead. And even if you don't like it, hair grows back!

4. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, go for it. I did it in September and it was an interesting change, and I decided to keep it short. :wink:

5. Maeve

It grows back. I've had very short hair and I never had negative comments.

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Try. If you don't like it, think that hair will grow back.

7. black-cat

Have a look around for a hair cut that can be both masculine or feminine, as a back up plan incase you don't like it perhaps? Something as simple as the way you style it can really change the way you look, even with short hair you can still look feminine (or not masculine).

I think cutting your hair short would be good, discovering who you are, how you feel, etc. And after all, it grows back!

It might also be worth getting it done in autumn/winter so you can wear a hat for 3-4 if you don't like it without rasing suspicion : P

8. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have short hair and have never regretted it once! It definitely helped me to cement and figure out my sexuality

9. lovely lesbian

If you want to go for it

10. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it! As long as you're not to attached to your hair like I was...:lol:

11. ginger cthulhu

if you want your hair short, by all means, cut it. the only way you'll know for sure is if you do it, and yeah, lots of women have short hair these days. woo!

12. Lipstick Leuger

Exploring who you are and how you are comfortable is what life I about. Go out, try it and if you like it keep it, if not it will grow.

13. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Do what you want to do. It's your hair and it will always grow back. I shaved my head and it fits how I feel about myself. I became more comfortable with myself. God Bless

14. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Styling decisions are always fun and they really do tell you a lot about yourself. But ones you can't easily back out of can be a bit scary. It depends on what you have to risk between now and the time it takes for it to grow back. One thing you might try is to cut it in stages but then you loose the charity bit.

15. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It feels like a huge risk while you're getting it done but after it's cut you're like "wow, I am fantastic" because you look great, and it's SO much easier to manage :grin: do it!