1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

citizenship and english name

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ticklish Fish, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Ticklish Fish

so my mom wants me to apply to citizenship and change my first name to an english name, because that is supposed to improve my employment rate...

I just want to ask if having an asian first name or english name makes a difference to employers. I am kind of on the fence about it, because by doing this, it's implying that employers can still hold racial judgment based on names of people :/

IDK.

2. Jwis

Well first off that would be illegal, but I know profiling happens.

I am often on search committees at my job, and we just hired two people, both with Asian names. Honestly when I have 30+ resumes to go through, I don't pay any attention to the name.

If you like your name I'd keep it.

3. Ticklish Fish

:/ well, i have family pressure to change my name to an english one. my mom and sis thinks I should just change it to english... omg

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2014 at 10:52 PM ----------

so I was talking with my sister, and she was telling me how having an English name would give me better advantage than other applicants, such as those Asian people with their full Asian name. She was saying how they're likely smarter and more hardworking than me, and therefore I would need to have an English name as an advantage.

And also that having an English name would be able to get me to pass through the faceless resume and applications to interviews.

Anyone was or is a recruiter/employer in USA? Does name make a difference?

4. Mrcake

You can't discriminate based on someone's name by law. But I would say if you like your name how it is, then keep it. Maybe you will feel that you should change it to an English name to help people pronounce your name easier. However, you could just say call me "...." instead.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think an Asian first name would make much of a difference. If an employer dislikes Asians so much that he or she would discriminate based on your name, then you probably don't have a prayer of surviving the interview process (assuming that it's clear looking at you that you have Asian ancestry).

Also note: if, for some reason, your first name causes problems, it can be changed later on.

6. Maeve

Unless it's really difficult to pronounce in English, I'd keep it. As soon as you get an interview, they'll know you're Asian anyway.

7. Jwis

Did you even read what I wrote?

I answered every question that you asked. I don't know where your family is getting that information from but it is not true.

8. Ticklish Fish

I want to know that as well ROFL. I don't understand my family, most of the times.

9. Silver Sparrow

Yes, there will be bias if you have a name that is perceived as Asian. It's illegal, but it happens. I don't know how much it would affect you if you had an english first name and an Asian last name (none of the articles I've read mentioned anything about that). Try to deemphazise your name in your resume (make the text smaller or put it in a different location).

10. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't really help with the applying for citizenship or whether changing your official name is a good idea.

But, I went to school with several Asian and they mostly used English first names. I am sure they were not official though, when it came to exams and IDs I'm pretty sure they used their original names. However in class when we'd had in work to our teacher or whatever, they'd use their English name.

Moreover, when they were talking to each other (in their language) I did notice that they acknowledged each other also using their English names.

11. Emmanuella

There is no clear cut answer here...how you/your name are perceived by employers depends entirely on the specific employers and the people involved.

There will be times where your Asian name, as your family said, might be seen as a disadvantage. Unfortunately there are people who have certain prejudices and ideas.
    There are re other times where having an Asian name might actually be are re ADVANTAGE to you, once again, due to the preconceived ideas that some people have regarding people of Asian decent. Then there will be instances where your name wouldn't matter at all.

All that to say, if you want to keep your name, then keep it. You csnt predict how that will affect you in the future, one way or another. Besides, if a company is willing to overlook certain candidates because they have non-white sounding names, is that TRULY a company that you would be comfortable working for?

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently met someone from HK who has an Asian name but who is known to us as "Bud". Trouble is, we live in a French city, and "Bud" is definitely English...which means he may well be discriminated against (again depending on the employer) for that name! More to the point, he almost always has to explain that "Bud" is not his "real" name...

13. Ticklish Fish

bumping my own thread, i am looking at my form again and this one question "Do you suport the Constitution and form of government of US?"

I dont know if i should be offended that my state still don't let gays marry XD

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You might think about moving to another state as soon as it's convenient. Bonus: I'd guess at least some states that have gay marriage might also be more accepting of people with Asian first names.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Equal-opportunity laws ensure that you can't be hired or rejected for national origin, which includes what kind of name you have. I don't think you should change your name. Unless it's hard for most English speakers to pronounce, but that chance is pretty slim I think.

16. Ticklish Fish

my full chinese name is 3 syllables combined (first, middle, last)

shouldn't be too hard. :confused:

I am changing my middle name to an english one though

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That shouldn't be bad at all. I think you have a good plan. :slight_smile:

18. Ticklish Fish

bumping my own thread because, mom.

so she thinks that i should make my first name an english name for whatever beneficial reason.

but i would rather change my middle name to english name.

opinion please?

19. HTBO

I wouldn't change your name, not even your middle. I don't see the point in changing your middle name to an English one, most people don't pay attention, and that's if they even see your middle name. It may look out of place with an Asian first and last name but a English middle name. Anyways, that's just my thoughts.
    The others are correct, you can't be discriminated against based on your name, although it can be difficult to tell if that's the reason you are not chosen for an interview or job. But, I also disagree with anglicizing names. I think it's wrong, and that we should learn how to pronounce your name as you would learn how to pronounce ours. If I meet people and they tell me their name and it's English, I always ask if that is their name or if it's been changed for pronunciation purposes, and the latter is usually the case. Then I ask their real name, and which they prefer and I'm usually told which ever is easier for you. then I learn how to say their real name, and that's what I use. I may have to write it down in a way that I can remember to say it, but I will use their real name. You shouldn't have to change any part of who you are to fit in, and that includes changing your name.

20. Ticklish Fish

im still changing my english name anyways, since my english name is Nathan, which came from my dad's english name, Jonathan. but my parents divorced and i dont want Nathan anymore and this is a good opportunity haha.