1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jaffacakes, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Jaffacakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hellooooo. I'm 13 and from the UK. I go to a London all girls school. I came out about four weeks ago on a class group chat, though not everyone saw it, and it was mostly my friends who didn't, though my close friends know.
    We had a PSHE lesson today, in which we were talking about discrimination and minority groups. The tutor went on to talk about the lgbt community. At this point everyone turned around and stared at me. Though I'm out, I still feel awkward in these situations. I don't know if the tutor knows or not, she only would if she has overheard the gossip but there has been a lot so she might. I'm not really sure what I'm asking here. When we discuss sexuality, should I say something and assume that people know or should I put my head down or what? And please don't say 'do what feels comfortable' because the whole situation is uncomfortable. Thanks for any advice.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Well, I think you should just say sth if it's important to you and you're comfortable with it.
    Sorry for that but I can't think of another answer.
    You don't have to say sth just cause you think others would expect it of you.
    Maybe they do but that's not important.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably have challenged them jokingly, saying "What are you guys looking at?" and obviously knowing the answer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Being non-straight doesn't mean you have to be an official spokesperson who should take on a teaching role; just let the tutor carry on as usual and it shouldn't be a big deal.

Since you are at the point where a lot of people know, there's no sense in acting weird. Just allow yourself to relax. :slight_smile:

#3 Argentwing, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Straight people can talk about LGBT issues too.

Some people feel uncomfortable with discussing about it because they're afraid of the discrimination and hatred the LGBT community gets on a daily basis. Or, they could simply be uncertain on what exactly to say. So, if you think you have a good point to make, by all means. You don't have to add "I know, because I'm gay" to validate your statement, and because straight people never say "But I don't really know, because I'm straight". Or they shouldn't have to, anyway.