1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find a gay friendly church?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by 143kc, Jun 19, 2014.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I finally have a license, freedom awaits, and I have decided that I want to be faithful once more. I am only 17, but my mom has told me that if I can find a gay friendly church I can go to that one instead of the homophobic one she forces me to go to now :grin: . Now, the only problem is, I have no clue how to find a gay friendly church. They don't need a pride flag at their door, but open tolerance would be a bonus. I tried googling, to no avail. I live in a suburban area with a decent-sized LGBQTA beach community about 30-40 mins away, but I'm hoping to find a church slightly closer (under 30 mins would be great). I'm shy and unpopular, and I miss my church family, so finding a new one with a great youth program is my goal. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you tried googling but
    did you try google maps i always find what i want their
    on my mobile for example i can search for nearby restaurants lets say im in the street 50 and google knows that since im using gps so there is something like look for nearby places restaurants and stuff you can write a church list down all the nearby ones you find close
    now google them and see if they are gay friendly or not
    hope i helped ^^

3. mangotree

Maybe see what you can find at gaychristian.net, gaychurch.org and mccchurch.org
    I think there's some particular deniminations that are more LGBTIQ friendly as well (though I haven't been to them to know for sure). Apparently Methodist, Unitarian, United Church of Christ, Episcopalian are a bit more on the liberal side. Maybe if there's one in your area you could just e-mail them and find out.

Hope that helps.

Peace be with you (*hug*)

4. drumdreez

I'm not sure there's one in your area, but I go to a Unitarian Universalist church, which is very gay friendly! It's not incredibly religious, though, so if you're going for a more traditional yet gay friendly Christian church it may not be what you want. But UU churches are very active in the fight for LGBTQ rights, as equality and justice is one of the church's core values, so it may work out for you, if there's one nearby. :slight_smile:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would just warn you to check each church before you go. I was thrown out of a methodist church when I came out as Bi. So, just because they are part of those groups does not mean that they are gay friendly.

6. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the advice! My search will begin next week!