1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self conscious about the weirdest things...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PrinceFabulous, Jun 19, 2014.

1. So, lately, I've been really self conscious. I don't know what to do, all I do now is worry if I'm good enough for other people, or how people look at me. Like, I'm worried I act too...As much as I hate to say it like this... "gay". People tell me I do all the time. I'm worried about my height. I'm 14 and 5'9, everyone tells me I'll be abnormally tall, but I just want to be average. I worry about body hair, what if people find it gross? I could go on, and on. People constantly point out my wrongs, and it's starting to make me worry about myself way too much. How can I stop being like this?

2. lonelywisp

Out Status:
    A few people
    For me. it's not really how not to be like that, but how to ignore the others. The way I see it, if people judge you, then you shouldn't be listening to them anyways. Besides, if their pointing out your flaws, it means that they're taking the time to find them. Usually, that means that they either have no life, or they are just plain jealous of what you have. Hope this helps. It's what my friends told me in my trying times.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find body hair very cute. Just saying. It probably doesn't really do anything to soothe your conscious, but I'd like you to know that there's someone out there who finds body hair attractive.

Awkward confessions aside, I know how you feel. There's no shame in trying to avoid being perceived as gay, after all, many people are homophobic. Just think about it this way: do they have any proof? They shouldn't. Just because you fit a gay stereotype doesn't make you gay (even if you are) and those people who say otherwise are close-minded jerkfaces.

Also, about being too tall, I have the same problem, but in the opposite direction: I feel like I'm too short. I'm 5'0" to 5'1" and a similar age to you. I show no signs of actually growing, and it really bums me, to be honest. But, there's not really a norm. Everyone's body is built differently, and that's why you shouldn't compare yourself to other people. There's just too many factors to take into account.

What I do when faced with these insecurities is that I just find a secluded place where no one can see or hear me, then I just sit and think. I try to reassure myself that I'm alright, and while it usually doesn't work, it's trying, and if you keep trying, you will get better.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like most people must have this problem. Everyone is far more critical of themselves than others are of them about most things. The best way to deal with it I've found is to just power through. Fake it 'till you make it.

And about being tall, you might not like sticking out for now, but as a 6'2" guy, I think it's pretty awesome. When peer pressure begins to subside, you learn to appreciate height.

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your body is changing so it's natural to worry about what it's changing into. Based on your description I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's cool to act gay. Body hair is a positive feature. Being tall is a huge advantage. People have a natural tendency to trust and respect tall people. A recent study found the average man who is 6 feet tall earns $5,525 more per year than a man who is 5 feet 5 inches tall. I'm 6'3" and my salary is in the top 20%.

6. Hyaline

I was wondering when I was going to find a post like this from the OP.

The truth is, your body is the way it was made. Whether you attribute that to a deity or genetics or whatever. Your body will turn out however it will regardless of what you wish it do.

As for your height, body hair and such. Parents have a bad habit of pointing thing out that can cause some emotional distress. I answered another question like this just recently. my mom still to this day will ask me if I am "growing a mustache" if I don't shave.. <sigh> No Ma, I am just lazy and don't feel like shaving. my chest hair seems to be something she is curious about too. Admittedly I am not that self conscious about how I look generally. But sometimes people saying thing in the interest of curiosity and it has nothing to do with being critical, but it makes us self conscious.

The trick is learning to love who you are and what you are.

Odds are you are taller than everyone in your class, you are probably stronger than most of them. Let me guess, do they ask you "are you going to play basketball cause you're soooo tall?". (Ugh I hated that one)...

Just roll with it. Keep in mind that you will become the man you will become regardless. And some of the hottest guys I know where fat short chubby teens. So nobody knows for sure what will happen until it does.

Besides, being tall is kinda awesome.. you can reach everything from the top shelf..

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy frick, I got this one even before I fully understood how advantageous height was to basketball players. Yeah I like b-ball and played it for a little while (with little success) but you think that's all being tall is good for? OP I tried to imply it in my previous post, but yeah being taller than most people can be cause for extreme self-consciousness as a teenager. I felt like a humongous oaf. >.<

8. Well, actually... It seems like most people from where I live are about 5'9 as well around my age. Are we all a class of giants or something, because a lot of us seem to be told we're gonna be tall.

9. Hyaline

Honestly, FOR ME, being tall hasn't been a detriment. I can honestly say that it probably has helped me overall. Keeping in mind, at home, I am the short one.. I am 6'1" and my partner is 6'5".... So yeah, size is relative..

FWIW.... Most everyone is an oaf as a teen. You are not unique!! There are a lucky few who are coordinated and excel at sports, but the rest of us just have to work with what we have. To this day I am still a bit clumsy. I don't contribute that to my size, but rather to my lack of coordination.

Honestly, you sound like a normal guy... Truly... I don't think you have anything to worry about...

10. You know, thank you very much. You've been really nice on your posts, so I'd really just like to say again: Thank you. You've really helped me out.

11. Hyaline

You are most welcome.. In truth, we all worry about our bodies at that age. You aren't alone in that. I had no way to know that I would grow up after HS. It sucked being 18 and 5'7" and 120lbs. Thing is, I hit a late growth spurt and shot up another 6 inches over that next year and a half. So there is no way to know what you'll end up like.

I have a very close friend I started chatting with when he was 14, He was the fat chubby kid at school and very self conscious about it. He really struggled with it. When he went off to college, with some poking from me, spent some time changing his habits and working out. Along with getting taller, he shot up and is super model hot now.

So don't discount where you are at the moment. You're going to be fine, you know how I know? Because you're alive and breathing and worrying about it.. And darnit, it could be MUCH worse!!! So live and be happy!!

12. black-cat

I agree, you just got to go with the flow of it, however frustrating it may be. Everyone is different and you are going to turn out in a certain way, you can't do anything to hinder it.

Everyone has their body issues, people seem to be sharing them on this thread lol. I come from a family where the women are around 5"7-5"8, and the men are around 6"0-6"4. I'm 16 and I am 5"0. I have grown about an inch in the last 5 years, I might make it to 5"1, but I'm skeptical. We can do nothing about our height, you will eventually learn to accept your height (whatever it may be) and maybe even love that feature about you.

I don't think body hair is anything to be ashamed off, either. Some people like it, some don't. If someone is going to judge you to the point of not being friends/partners with you simply because of your body hair, do you really want them to be part of your life?

Go with the flow, and fake it till you make it. Feel free to message me if you want to chat :slight_smile: