1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking more Lesbian

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CuriousArticles, Jun 20, 2014.

1. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it bad to want to look or dress more stereotypically gay? I feel bad for wanting it.

I feel like I don't stand a chance of ever dating a woman as I don't look like a lesbian. I even have an anecdote about a straight friend repeating that I said "Does this make me the only lesbian in the room" And still EVERYONE thinks she is gay, and no-one even questions my sexuality. Going to a gay bar doesn't seem to help, as apparently I just look like another straight girl there. :bang:

I guess I'll just have to stick to guys :confused: I know I probably need to be more forward but I'm painfully shy when it comes to flirting/romance/chatting up in bars and all that jazz. :icon_redf

And it's not just dressing like a lesbian - I don't really like the way I dress, I'm just not brave enough to wear the things i like anyway, and don't know what I can pull off :frowning2:
    Most of the reason isn't even that I want people to see me as not straight, I just think I'd be more comfortable, even though I don't even know what I mean by it!!!

Any advice?

2. Really

From what I've come across in my "research", while not definitive, you can try:

Trimming your fingernails as if you were a pianist. (Please don't make me explain why).
    Search for info about lesbian jewelery, hairstyles and/or fashion.

I suspect at a lesbian/gay bar some of these subtleties might twig for someone.

You can also search something like "What does a lesbian look like". There are a couple of helpful/humourous blog posts out there which might help ease your worries.

Oh, and confidence seems to be more important than looks but, of course, that's a Catch-22 because if our appearance doesn't make us feel confident, how can we appear confident? Blug.

3. DancingGirl

Well sweetie. My advice wear what you want. I am not out at all really. And I dress in what ever I want. I have a pretty butch haircut. But have always had short hair. So yyesterday I wore man shorts and a tee with a hoodie. Very boyish. Today low vneck, jeans and girly jewelry. It is different every day. But that never changes the girl flirting. I believe when you feel confident about being gay even if you arent out it makes a huge difference in how much you will get noticed. Slowly build your confidence. Eye contact is great. Work on that. You will be amazed at how easy it gets.
    For lesbian fashion advice and pictures of some well dressed lesbians of all sorts check out my fave site autostraddle.com it is great. We come in all shapes and sizes in all forms of delightful dress. Find it and own it honey.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Actually, most lesbians prefer femme or "straight" looking women.

But if you want to dress more masculine, go for it. I usually just wear guy's clothing and don't wear makeup.

5. softbutch5765

That's really hard. I myself have difficulty spotting a lesbian 'femme', because most of them dress like a straight girl. I suggest wearing the things you're comfortable with. And just do with "eye contact". One of the things I distinguish femmes from butches (and others), is when they stare at you or some other women.

So just try to connect with eye contact if you like someone. They would be a chance they'd notice or a friend of theirs will notice.

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

dress like u normally would, but with a lot of rainbow jewelery and stuff

7. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I actually do keep my nails trimmed low as I'm a first aider and have to for hygiene reasons, and don't wear jewelry at all, as it annoys me. I wish I could change my hair, but its super curly and my current haircut is the only way to manage it :/

Definitely looking up fashion ideas though - getting braver in morphing my style into something I like. that website looks pretty cool, so will check it out :slight_smile: I'm working on my confidence - but flirting is the one area I'm rubbish in. I just can't seem to get better! Last time i went to a gay bar, I tried making eye contact all the time, but it was I bit of a write off :frowning2: But I'll keep trying!

Most of what I wear is t-shirt and jeans and hoodies. I pretty much live in them. Although that's England for you. Jeans all year round!! To be honest at this rate, I feel like I could dress completely stereotypically lesbian and still come across straight *sigh*

8. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your problem is less one of fashion and more one of confidence.
    You need to get to a point where you can wear what you like, whatever others might think.
    You just have to be your own fabulous self - out, proud, and happy, whether femme or butch.

Other than that - just act gay. I look 100% straight, but the moment I open my mouth, people know what's up lol.
    I've been told my humour is dirtier than most guys' and I check out girls without even noticing it, and I make flirty comments and the like.
    So you, sadly in the current lesbian culture, as a femme, you have to become a bit more aggressive in your flirting behaviour.
    See something you like? Go get it, like a mighty lioness stalking her prey.

9. DancingGirl

You'll get there keep working at it. Trust me you'll be glad you did. If there are any gay/lesbian resource centers near you, check them out. Meeting other gay folk and just being friends boost your confidence. Also get out and enjoy life. If you are loving your life and look happy you are more likely to be approached. Feel wonderful in that gay skin it is a beautiful thing.

10. Yosia

Rainbow jewellery?

11. DancingGirl

The Queercuts of Our Lives : Photo
    I am not giving up on you having a cute cut. There is a girl at my work with this cut. Super cute.
    I love mens button ups and vests too. Those really get the ladies attention. Dress up the vest with a few queer buttons. Those will get you noticed.

12. Loira

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have the same problem, my friends seems to forget I'm gay just because I "don't look like it". It is annoying, actually.

I do agree that is more a confidence thing that anything else both in terms of "acting gay" and dressing the way you would like it. I am extremely uncomfortable with my body so I have settled with jeans and t-shirts because I don't feel there's anything that I like that looks good on me. Hate to accept this, but I know is just in my mind...

I have recently decided to make an effort and comment aloud more about girls, mostly for the sake of my sanity.

13. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is confidence really the problem?? I don't seem to have any trouble with men...None I like, but still. There's a bus load in my friend's words. I am comfortable with myself in general, and in what I wear, I just don't feel like it really expresses me. I've been making every effort for the past year and a half to be more out there and doing stuff, which has improved my confidence. Although I will admit I've definitely had more attention since I've increased in confidence, but none of it is from women. I guess I don't look or act like I like women.

And my hair would not do that, it's way curlier. The last short cut I had looked horrible. Never again. I stick to chin length, as it may have taken 21 years, but I finally found something I could work with! I wish I could cut it short....

How on earth do you act gay??? I can't act anything but myself! Plus I'm not out exactly. And there aren't any centres that I know of or would feel comfortable going to.

I feel like every part of my personality surprises people. No-one can tell I'm bisexual, no-one expects me to be a geek, no-one expects me to be up for anything. I really want to wear who I am on my sleeves - literally! lol I'm just embarrassed to suddenly change what I'm wearing. Even something slightly different I will wear in the house, but not outside, as it's so different to normal!

14. DancingGirl

I have given all the advice I can. Sounds to me like you need to except yourself first. Good luck to you.

15. fortheloveoflez

Wear a rainbow bracelet.

16. lovely lesbian

I don't think you need to dress like a lesbian to let people know that you are I just think wear a rainbow bracelet that will let people know.

17. Really

For what it's worth, you sound kind of cute to me and I haven't even seen you!

Maybe this anecdote will illuminate things. (Maybe not, but here goes.)

I used to work with young women who would say hi to and be greeted by everyone we passed in the office. Our job function took us all over a fairly large building and across all other departments so this was a lot of "encounters". After a while I asked her if she knew all these people and she said no. Now, granted, she was very beautiful and I'm sure they all would have liked to have known her but I think it illustrates how even a simple "hi" can get you a lot of mileage!
    Interestingly enough, if I recall correctly, I think she basically had only 5 or 6 outfits which she rotated. She always looked great but I guess the point is, she had her style and just stuck with it. Her personality just shone through.

18. lovely lesbian

19. BelleFromHell

Just wear something with a rainbow on it, preferably a bracelet. I detest lesbian stereotypes and I try to stay the hell away from them.

20. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really wear any jewelry...It's not really me, and gets in the way. But maybe I'll try it sometime, as everyone seems to suggest it...

Why don't you like the stereotypes? Isn't there quite a few? I don't necessarily find it attractive, but you can't help if it's just who you are.

Actually that does help. Just gotta find my style and go for it I guess. I'll have to work my way up to it :confused: