1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by darth vader, Jun 20, 2014.

1. darth vader

"Vulnerability is our most accurate measurement of courage..."

Expound on the quote above and kindly give some specific examples or life experiences... :icon_wink

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

When you open up to someone you trust and then the one knows you really trust him/her.
    So you tell someone sth really personal.

#2 CharlsOn, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trusting someone can go two ways: they can become one of your worst enemies or they can become one of your best friends.

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

But courage sometimes means to take a risk.

5. darth vader

taking risks... yeah, that's how we can measure courage..

so what are the things that you did lately where you became vulnerable and yet you took risks?

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out. Haha.

7. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Admitting that I cut.

8. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To expound on the quote above I need another:

"Courage isn't an absence of fear. It's doing what you are afraid to do. It's having the power to let go of the familiar and forge ahead into new territory."
    ~John Maxwell

One of the biggest fears for anyone is being vulnerable and it takes great courage to face your biggest fear.

I just came out to my mom not to long ago. I was definitely leaving the familiar I have been married and have a child by another woman. I could have just stayed letting her believe I was straight. I sent a coming out letter in an email. The instant I hit send I immediately felt vulnerable to the point I was shaking.

9. darth vader

oh my.. now, those are very BIG risks that you took.. oh well, you only got one life, you better make it fabulous.. how long did you have to think it over before that leap of faith?

10. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started coming out to friends about a year and half maybe two years ago. I have lived in my current location since October and have told people as I made new friends. For the first time in my life I was able to live as me. The whole time I wanted to tell my parents but I couldn't find the courage. The straw that broke the camel's back came on Memorial Day when I went to visit my family and had to play the good little straight son again. It drove me absolutely insane and I was pissed for pretty much the rest of the week because of it. I decided that I would write my mom a coming out letter and let it sit in my drafts folder until I got the courage to send it. I wrote it and copied it here (much thanks to those who helped me edit it) a couple revisions later I read it and it sounded so perfect as to what I wanted to say i just hit send then two seconds later i had a complete panic attack and was sitting there physically shaking. She texted me back almost immediately and I was reminded again how wonderful my mom really is. But those few minutes between me hitting send and my phone beeping were hell.

I saw a quote in someone's signature last night that I'm going to steal and it is literally what happened here.

"When the pain of doing nothing is greater than the fear of change, then you will act".

11. darth vader

those are a lot.. for just a short span of time.. but you're a bit late in coming out.. i mean you even got married.. what took you so long to realize that you are gay?

12. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started to realize I was gay in Jr high, but with the way my dad was when I was growing up I didn't want to admit it to myself. It took me till about 6-7 years ago (still with my babies momma) before I would even consider admitting it and another year or so before I began to accept it. The biggest regret I have in life is putting those two women through the hell of loving a man who couldn't love them the way they deserved just so I didn't have to admit to myself I am gay.

As far as it being a bit late, well I feel it's better late than never and even though I wasted so many years of my life pretending to be straight at least I can live the rest of my life being me. There are a lot of young people here in their teens who are coming out. I cannot even begin to describe how jealous I am of them and how much I admire their courage.