1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding out where my parents stand

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RedMage, Jun 20, 2014.

1. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I've been wanting to come out to my parents recently and I just want to make sure they're okay with the idea of bisexuality. I'm planning on fabricating a story about how at work someone's sibling came out as bi and said worker tells of how the sibling was made fun of by some of their friends.

I'm hoping it will possibly shed some light on their opinions and possibly allow the opening for the "What would you do if..." question. Do you think it might work and is it subtle enough? Any suggestions on what to do?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's fine, but I'd advise against mentioning it out of the blue. Unless, of course, you randomly talk about what happens during your workday.

Try to get your parents to ask about your day, if they don't already. If that doesn't work, you can wait until there's something on the news about the LGBT community (but then, you can just comment on it and you won't have to use your story at all). It just may seem a little odd if you just started talking about it without preamble.

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I agree with Nychthemeron though, you don't want it to sound out of character or they will get suspicious.

Another story that might work better is to mention that some guy asked you out on a date. When they ask you what you said you can say you told him you were flattered but weren't interested. That has a few advantages:
    • It puts you in the story so the story doesn't seem out of the blue.
    • It shows your parents that others can perceive you as gay, thus getting the idea in their head without actually coming out.
    • It shows them you are okay with gays, thus modeling that behavior a little for them.