1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Club

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by hoodie boy, Jun 23, 2014.

1. hoodie boy

I'm a college freshman, and I recently discovered that my school has a LGTB Pride club. I'm in the closet, but I'm fairly interested in the idea of meeting other gay people my age. There's a club meeting this week, but I'm nervous about attending. Does anyone have any experience with Pride clubs that they'd be willing to share? Should I go to the meeting?

2. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Go to the club. Student organizations are a wonderful thing that can help you with your college experience. It'll get you to meet new people outside classes, get involved with campus/organization activities and an excellent way to experience personal growth.

I was involved with College Democrats on my Campus and also Bobcat Equality Alliance.

Also Allies at Texas State. (See if your campus has an Allies program of sorts).

Some meetings include ice breakers for members to get to know each other. And then there's regular business meetings.

Student organizations can help you academically and professionally.

#2 LonestarConnie, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  3. hoodie boy

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about bringing a close friend with me to help with my anxiety.

4. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  5. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    find out what room it will be held in. go in before the meeting hide in the closet wait until during the meeting and come out of the closet and sit down like nothing ever happened

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll be going to the one my college has. That and many other clubs they have. It's really good to make friends.

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds a good idea to go. The organisers will make it super welcoming .. and if you do take a friend for support it will help loads.

8. SunSparks

Absolutely - and taking a friend is a great idea. My college has a lot of different lgbtq clubs with different atmospheres, which is great. Its really fun, you get to learn about other's experiences, meet others, and can also be educational.

Also, dont worry too much! I know in my experience, they have never asked specifically about sexuality, and we always start off intro'ing ourselves and stating our preferred gender pronouns, so its super welcoming.

9. hoodie boy

Thanks for the help.

I asked my best friend at school if she would come with me for support, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that she would love to. I'm looking forward to going to the meeting later this week.